Sign in to follow this  
JoTayhen

Harness the oxen Mama, we're aheaded West!

Just purchased PNW and REX and I'm getting out of SC and moving on to what I hope will be better scenery. You put a South Caroline boy in the great Pacific NW and you've got yourself one bug-eye'd critter! I enjoy VFR low & slow. I've spread out the Atlas and a bunch of road maps of the Washington / Oregon area trying to decide upon a good "home base". I'd like a spot where I can reach a good deal of diverse scenery relatively easily and still make it into town when I have to. You know, a good spot to make a little "shine", load up the mule and not have to work your butt off trying to sell the stuff so you can re-build an engine and/or put the Jenny back together again after some unfortunate indiscretion. So, if any of you folks who happen to already call that neck of the wood home have some suggestions - I surely would be obliged!Standing with my hat off!John

Guest firehawk44
Just purchased PNW and REX and I'm getting out of SC and moving on to what I hope will be better scenery. You put a South Caroline boy in the great Pacific NW and you've got yourself one bug-eye'd critter! I enjoy VFR low & slow. I've spread out the Atlas and a bunch of road maps of the Washington / Oregon area trying to decide upon a good "home base". I'd like a spot where I can reach a good deal of diverse scenery relatively easily and still make it into town when I have to. You know, a good spot to make a little "shine", load up the mule and not have to work your butt off trying to sell the stuff so you can re-build an engine and/or put the Jenny back together again after some unfortunate indiscretion. So, if any of you folks who happen to already call that neck of the wood home have some suggestions - I surely would be obliged!Standing with my hat off!John
Well stated John! PNW is stunning scenery almost everywhere you fly. Enjoy.Best regards,Jim

One of my favorite airports in the area is Victoria Intl. for a variety of reasons, and it is pretty darn smack in the middle of this great scenery. In addition, I only fly GA, and Victoria is small enough not to clogged up with 'heavy' traffic. Might make a nice 'home base'. Friday Harbor, Port Angeles, and Orcas Island are a couple other favorites. Now, do it the 'right' way :( and take the flight out west in real time. I've done it a number of times, the last time I flew my various bi-planes all the way out from Cleveland. Also, If you don't have it, I highly recommend UT Alaska as an additional area to travel north to.

ORBX offers a freeware 2S1 Vashon Municipal Airport in their freeware section. It is a great little airport and it is just outside of Seattle. Go north and you have Vancouver, BC. Go south and you have Portland OR. You also have the Pacific Rim Volcanoes to buzz around. Either way you are an hour or so away from jaw dropping scenery.http://fullterrain.com/freeware.html

Mike Keigley

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Thanks fellas,I do believe that the only way for Mama and me to get out there is to fire up the Turbine Duke and let er go. Only problem I see is Mama can't ride with me. She's got to ease on into the SF 260 and try er best to follow along. Now, I surely don't want ya'll worrying about er - she's been up before and can steer that little baby with the best of em!She just gits a little bored an tends to wander a bit. I'll let ya'll know when we've packed up and are ready to hit the road so's ya'll can watch out. She'll do just fine if'n we stop here and there for potty breaks and such. We're fixin to have the time of our lives comin up here real soon. I'll do my darndest to keep an eye out for er but I surely would appreciate ya'll watchin out for us. If you happen to see a little red honey cruisin along aheaded north or northwest kinda like and its a wobblin a little sorta like maybe someone is inside that little bugger munchin on something and not payin a lot of attention, i'd appreciate it if you would just kind of give er a waggle just to make er feel at home.Mama -n- me surely do appreciate your advice, phoenixphire. You too, bkeske! I guess we'll just have to get used to the names, though. Caint expect Bubbas and Juniors every where we go! We surely do appreciate the kind words, Jim. Virginia is kinda just up the way so we might just buzz you just to let you know we was thinkin about ya'll. Well, let me git to it. Ya'll take care and we'll see ya soon!John

I just worry 'bout a good, ole boy making the transition from Carolina to the Pacific Northwest? They aint got RC cola and Moon Pies up there, so getting use to those lattes and croissants may take some getting use to... :(

Mercy sakes alive, Meshman! Hadn't thought of that. I'll be fine as long as I can hunt a bit and dry up a chaw of jerkie or two but Mama's kinda partial to those little suckers. Ya'll don't want to say that kind of stuff too loud now cause Skeeter and Jolene still aren't sure bout all this yet.By the way - jus between you -n- me - I believe they probably do have plenty of croissants to spare up there but I already have all the adjustable wrenches I need stashed away in the Duke. I cain't recollect my having any lattes though - I might need to pick me up one of them if'n I caint make me one.Thanks for the 'heads-up' Brother!