Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adrian West

Problem installing yoke, pedals and throttle quadrant

I need your help! I have just bought a Saitek Pro Flight Throttle Quadrant to go along with my existing CH Products Yoke & Pedals. Everything was working fine with my yoke & pedals, but I decided that I would like to have the extra realism and sensitivity of a TQ. The Saitek one is cheaper than the CH one and offers a much greater range of movement. I am now having problems installing my TQ and everything has become screwed up.Until now I have been using FS to assign my axes and calibrate the controllers. I have never used CH Products software. My ideal scenario would be to assign axes and calibrate through FSUIPC, as I can then set each aircraft up individually. My favourite aircraft is the Aeroworx King Air B200. I found a document explaining how to set up the yoke, pedals and TQ through FSUIPC for the King Air, but that was using the CH Products TQ which has 6 levers. I have only one Saitek TQ with just the 3 levers, and cannot afford a second one. I will therefore be controlling both engines with a single lever. The FSUIPC settings seem to be different if you have just one throttle lever as opposed to separate levers for each engine, and this is where I ground to a halt with this document. So I decided to leave FSUIPC for another day and tried to set everything up through FS. FS recognised the Saitek TQ, so I then proceeded to delete the throttle, prop and mixture axes on the CH Yoke and set them up on the Saitek TQ. I then tried to calibrate all 3 controllers in FS, and I'm not convinced this worked properly. I am now finding that my yoke and pedals are completely screwed up. Whatever I do with the yoke, it seems to be activating all control surfaces simultaneously (ailerons, elevators and rudder) irrespective of which axis I am applying. My pedals seem to be moving the rudder but are also applying differential brakes all the time even though I am not pressing the toe brakes. Having calibrated my TQ through FS I am finding that my throttle lever will not go to maximum or minimum power - it stops short at each end of the range. The same applies to the prop and mixture levers.Furthermore I cannot work out how to calibrate my TQ levers for reverse thrust and prop feathering. The document I referred to earlier suggested that I can set these up through FSUIPC, but this seems to only apply if you have each engine controlled by separate levers. The settings for single-lever control of a twin engine aircraft do not offer the same amount of options, or so it seems to me.I am completely lost here and would be really grateful if somebody could at least point me in the right direction or give me a link to a suitable tutorial. I would rather avoid using Saitek's installation CD unless I absolutely have to, as I don't belive it should be necessary, especially if I can set everything up through FSUIPC. Until I can sort this out I am completely grounded. :((Thanks for your help.

This method should work in controlling both engines with one axis on the Saitek TQ. In the Axis Assignment section of FSUIPC, check the box labeled "Aircraft Specific". Then clear the axis # selection by using the rescan button. Then move the lever you want to program and in the assignment box below select Throttle 1. In the next line below select Throttle 2. Select OK and both engines will be controlled by the one lever on the TQ.Setting up reversers on the Saiteks has been discussed before. So a search should get you the info you need. I'd go through the process, but I'm trying to ready my wife and myself for a few days out of town.Jim D.

Thanks for the tip. This seems to work perfectly. One small concern that I have is that I cannot get the figures exactly the same on FSUIPC for thottles 1 & 2, but they are in fact very close, so hopefully this won't cause any problems.