Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest jahman

AMD Radeon 7000s by June/July 2011

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yea, and they just introduced on May 3rd the release of the fasted Quad core cpu - The Phenom II X4 980 "Black Edition" with a default clock speed of 3.7Ghz. I believe the Turbo Boost mode puts it at 4.1GHz but reports show it already being overclocked to 4.5GHz. Not bad for only $189 chip (at Newegg).

Yea, and they just introduced on May 3rd the release of the fasted Quad core cpu - The Phenom II X4 980 "Black Edition" with a default clock speed of 3.7Ghz. I believe the Turbo Boost mode puts it at 4.1GHz but reports show it already being overclocked to 4.5GHz. Not bad for only $189 chip (at Newegg).
The Phenom II chips are only a match for Intel's 2 generation old Core 2 Quad parts. I7, especially Sandy Bridge I7 chips, absolutely SLAUGHTER Phenom IIs in literally everything. Clock speed doesn't mean much, otherwise we'd all be running 10GHz Pentium 4s right now.

And I want to see that Phenom II at 4.5GHz, the Vcore and the cooling used to achieve such high clocks. P2 hit 4.2GHz at best

The Radeon 7000 series have been available since 2001 :Phttp://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/atiradeon7500/They really have to come up with a new name, hopefully something that makes sense this time.My suggestion:Radeon 113x (where x = 1 - 9)The first is DirectX generation (11), the next is the revision (Radeon 5000-series were the first DX11 cards, 6000 the 2nd) and the last number is relative performance (1 for the cheapest, slowest products, 9 for the $999 monster card that requires its own small nuclear power plant).Of course, marketing people like the letter X. So they could call it the Radeon XI 3x00 (marketing people also like big numbers, hence the two 0's at the end).But I think fewer numbers and no letters should work OK too. Microsoft got away with that. It's just called "Windows 7", not "Windows 7950 GTX Ultra X2".