Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bubi42

Replacement advice for GTX285 please...

My Domino CPU cooler has blown and it seems to have taken my GTX285 with it....I've replaced the cooler and the computer starts up, but with a 'pattern' effect on screen and after booting, it reports that it can't find an Nvidia adapter present, so I guess the graphics card has had it.My question is: What Nvidia adapter would you recommend as a reasonable replacement without having to remortgage the house?The machine is running Win7 (64bit) on an Asus P6T SE mobo with an Intel I7 985 CPU, and is mainly used for FSX.Thanks for any ideas.Toni.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

GTX 560, 570, or 580, whichever fits your budget. There's no tangible difference between any of them in FSX unless you run multiple monitors and/or use incredibly high levels of AA forced via Nvidia Inspector.

GTX 560, 570, or 580, whichever fits your budget. There's no tangible difference between any of them in FSX unless you run multiple monitors and/or use incredibly high levels of AA forced via Nvidia Inspector.
But that said, don't sell the advantages of some of the latest AA modes short. Transparency AA, in particular, made a huge difference for me...worth having a fast GPU to do it. It's not necessary to have, but it is nice to have!

After I've seen how ground lines on some airports shimmer with 8xS, and then turned on 2x SGSS, I don't want to turn it off again!!! GTX580 all the way - and it's not even THAT expensive any more - 409€, which is totally OK for a highend card.