Sign in to follow this  
Wg Cdr Mac Taylor

Anyone got a better processor idea?

4.2ghz a rather modest over-clock on a 2600k. What temps do you get on the H70? I7-990x or a 2600k, as has been mentioned the 2600k is a newer architecture and is faster in some regards. If it were me, I'd buy the 2600k and invest the rest of the money in a good cooler, graphics card and good RAM.
I get 40 - 59 Celsius when i was on 4.2 but now I am running 4.5 and getting around 55 -60 Celsius

i have the Intel I7-970 sixcore at 4.4GHZ and it plays fsx like never before i am happy with this much smoother from my i7-930 at 4.2GHZ the, SB cpus are good not there not six cores

haaaaaaaa I've got my 2500K at 5.0ghz for fun, shes stabel and cool! Get the 2500k with the Deluxe board, you'll love it!

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

To the poster of the topic; In today's market (08-17-11) to buy a 980/990x is a waste. If you were in the market when 980/990x first came out and the new gen CPU weren't for sale then go ahead. But in today's market your wasting your money for a 1000 dollars chip when a 300 dollar newer chip will hang. I got my 980x in the first week of release and OC to 4.4 and been running fine ever since, I'd never buy one now when you can get same core to core performance for 66% the cost with a i7 2600k. I'm sure your video and photo editing won't suffer as I'm almost willing to bet it just light editing and not a Steven Spielberg video editing!

I am sure the Sandy Bridge-E will be hot off the shelves. But I am smartWorried.gif , err well, and I will wait for IB or later for the same reason as above.

To the poster of the topic; In today's market (08-17-11) to buy a 980/990x is a waste. If you were in the market when 980/990x first came out and the new gen CPU weren't for sale then go ahead. But in today's market your wasting your money for a 1000 dollars chip when a 300 dollar newer chip will hang. I got my 980x in the first week of release and OC to 4.4 and been running fine ever since, I'd never buy one now when you can get same core to core performance for 66% the cost with a i7 2600k. I'm sure your video and photo editing won't suffer as I'm almost willing to bet it just light editing and not a Steven Spielberg video editing!
Not really. 980X/990X have the same core to core performance than I7 920 930, 950... and I5 750, I7 860 870...I7 2600K and I5 2500K are faster core per core