Sign in to follow this  
Wg Cdr Mac Taylor

Anyone got a better processor idea?

Getting a new machine suited around the i7-990X processor OC to 4 GHz. I've established that this will run FSX well but I need the most powerful processor going as I've got loads of stuff besides FSX.Can anyone name another processor I could have instead.Second question. Level-D 767 or Captain Sim. Systems and depth wise?

Getting a new machine suited around the i7-990X processor OC to 4 GHz. I've established that this will run FSX well but I need the most powerful processor going as I've got loads of stuff besides FSX.Can anyone name another processor I could have instead.Second question. Level-D 767 or Captain Sim. Systems and depth wise?
The i-5 2500 K (the K is critical) is probably the best bet right now. Can be easilly overclocked above 4.5 ghz - some as high as 5.3 with good cooling. Suggest a trip over to Tom's Hardware Guide and search Sandy Bridge - that is the architecture of this intel chip. Level D all the way. FMS works flawlessly. Conditional way points. Everything works the way it should - great systems depth. And much easier frames. Colin Ware

What will you be doing with it exactly besides FSX?

What will you be doing with it exactly besides FSX?
Extreme amounts of video editing, extreme amounts of photo shopping, call of duty & battlefield series, BBC iPlayer downloading and internet (I often have 15-16 tabs open at once)Mac Taylor

Extreme amounts of video editing, extreme amounts of photo shopping, call of duty & battlefield series, BBC iPlayer downloading and internet (I often have 15-16 tabs open at once)Mac Taylor
I7 990X/980X: 6 cores + Hyperthreading (6 extra virtual cores) Overclocks to 4.2 - 4.4GHzUnlocked multiplierSocket LGA13661000$I7 970Same thing as above but without unlocked multiplier. Should still do 4.2GHz easySocket LGA1366600$I7 2600K4 cores + Hyperthreading (4 extra virtual cores)Overclocks to 4.7 - 4.8GHz more or lessIt's a new architecture with improved instructions per clock, so at the same speed than a 990/980X is about a 15% fasterSocket LGA1155300$For video edition 6 cores give an edge over 4 cores. But the 2600K higher overclock and IPC put it within a 20% for a fraction of the priceFor gaming, FSX in particular, the 2600K will be faster since FSX is not going to take advantage of more than 4 cores, about a 30% faster than the 990X / 980X / 970 LGA1366 is a dead socket, LGA1155 should allow you to upgrade to Ivy Bridge next year Another option is to wait until LGA2011 is out, Q4 2011, with 6 cores in the new 2600K's architecture

lets talk straight out. i7 990x waste of money way to expensivebuy a i7 2600k or 2500k thats great for fsx1000$ or more for a 990x is insane the way i see it.i would NEVER pay so much for a cpu

I remember paying 1000 for a Voodoo 2 card back in the day, madness. Get the i7 2600k bud.Pete Walsh.

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

I have ther i7 990X OC to 4.5 GHz and the nVidia 590 card and maybe I paid top dollar for it, but I have no regrets. I see 100-500 fps (depending on what plan I fly and the scenery). I see lots of people bashing the 990X, but it really kicks a@@ on FSX. I'd like to do a comparison between the 990X and the 2600 as far as performance goes. But if you need the 990X for video editing, it'll be a homerun, a slam dunk ( guess a penalty kick in the rest of the world) for FSX.Paul G.

Paul Gugliotta

I have ther i7 990X OC to 4.5 GHz and the nVidia 590 card and maybe I paid top dollar for it, but I have no regrets. I see 100-500 fps (depending on what plan I fly and the scenery). I see lots of people bashing the 990X, but it really kicks a@@ on FSX. I'd like to do a comparison between the 990X and the 2600 as far as performance goes. But if you need the 990X for video editing, it'll be a homerun, a slam dunk ( guess a penalty kick in the rest of the world) for FSX.Paul G.
you can somewhat compare disabling 2 cores in windows and you'll see what I mean: Start -> run ... type "msconfig" and click in the "Boot" tab. Press the button "Advanced Options" and check the "Number of processors" box. Select 4 if you see 6 or select 8 if you see 12. Reboot and try FSX. That will be a slower quad than a 2600KAnd the GTX590 in FSX is more or less like a 200$ GTX560 since FSX can't make use of dual cards in SLI, so it's just using half it's horse power.

There's a link to a spread sheet in THIS post. Yeah, there's some questionable entries but I think you'll see a developing pattern.I'm not bashing the 980-990x, that is if you're running the latest and greatest in professional software. However, if one thinks the 990 is the latest and greatest for FSX then I'm here to tell you it's not... not by a long shot.-Ken Carlin

There's a link to a spread sheet in THIS post. Yeah, there's some questionable entries but I think you'll see a developing pattern.I'm not bashing the 980-990x, that is if you're running the latest and greatest in professional software. However, if one thinks the 990 is the latest and greatest for FSX then I'm here to tell you it's not... not by a long shot.-Ken Carlin
I am THIS close to wanting to build a new system with a 2600K and 580 card. Currently I have a 980X and 480. I am very curious to see how the two would compare in FSX. But I am trying to not let temptation get the best of me right now......trying.......to.......resist. JackColwill

4.2ghz a rather modest over-clock on a 2600k.What temps do you get on the H70?I7-990x or a 2600k, as has been mentioned the 2600k is a newer architecture and is faster in some regards. If it were me, I'd buy the 2600k and invest the rest of the money in a good cooler, graphics card and good RAM.