Sign in to follow this  
mf_blues

More Invisible Building Crashes

Some time ago I posted about crashing into an invisible building at Anchorage airport Alaska, now all of a sudden I'm having the same problem at Manchester airport in the UK which I never had any problems with previously.Has anyone ever actually cured this problem without having to turn off crash detection cus I like crashes to be detected especially when coming into land, but today I managed to crash into a building at 3500 feet, work that one out. There's no add on scenery at Manchester airport so it's not that, oh and it mainly happens when I zoom out to 30% although eventually the problem just seems to lock up FSX.How would I go about finding out what is causing the problem?Many thanksMartin.:(

Turn off FSX's crash detection and install FSpassengersX. Way better and more realistic damage especially when landing.. Gear damage, tail damage, wing damage, flap damage etc etc

Guest jahman

Another reason to turn-off crach detection in FSX is it's a performance hog.Cheers,- jahman.

Thanks Squishy, I'll take a look at that.Jahman, I really like the collision detection and I'm not that worried about the performance hit, doesn't seem to make a lot of difference on my PC.Cheers GuysMartin

Fspassengersx forces the default FSX detection back on, so you have to manually turn it off in the advanced settings .ini.You'll still retain Fspassenger damage detection

Guest firehawk44
Some time ago I posted about crashing into an invisible building at Anchorage airport Alaska, now all of a sudden I'm having the same problem at Manchester airport in the UK which I never had any problems with previously.Has anyone ever actually cured this problem without having to turn off crash detection cus I like crashes to be detected especially when coming into land, but today I managed to crash into a building at 3500 feet, work that one out. There's no add on scenery at Manchester airport so it's not that, oh and it mainly happens when I zoom out to 30% although eventually the problem just seems to lock up FSX.How would I go about finding out what is causing the problem?Many thanksMartin.:(
If you haven't, I would certainly do a Google search for Invisible Building Crashes in FSX. You'll find possible solutions not only from AVSIM but from all of the fltsim forums. MyTrafficX has AFCADs for most of the major airports in the world. Not that it is a problem, it could be modifying the airport data at the airport. I place MyTrafficX just before propeller objects in the Scenery Library. You can also go into the MyTraffic/Scenery folder and rename the Manchester airport AFCAD. Having a crash into a building at 3500 feet indicates you have a bigger issue than normal. Not too many people fly with crash detection on because of the issues you raise. Therefore, you won't find too many solutions (but there are some if you Google as I suggested). Lastly, check your scenery.cfg and look for any corruption as some scenery objects could be layered higher than they are suppose to be layered.Best regards,Jim

@Squishy -- What the #/%& FSpassengersX has to do with fixing this problem I haven't a clue. Do you??As to the OP if you happen to run Flight Sim Commander and go to that airport with the Airport button menu you can see which bgl file FSX is currently using for that airport and then open that bgl file with ADEX (Airport Design Editor) and see what the problem is.I had a problem like that once many years ago with an Abacus scenery file that actually had a building smack in the middle of RWY 32R that could not be seen unless your scenery complexity setting was set to Extremely Dense.Sounds to me like you have something that got installed somehow and you are using something other then a stockairport and/or scenery bgl file.I keep my crash detection on as it helps weed out possible bugs with addon scenery.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Well if he turns off FSX detection he fixes the problem, does he not?He also says he wants detection to see if he has made a proper landing. FS passengersX provides this and much better

Well if he turns off FSX detection he fixes the problem, does he not?He also says he wants detection to see if he has made a proper landing. FS passengersX provides this and much better
No that doesn't fix the problem, that just avoids the problem.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

No that doesn't fix the problem, that just avoids the problem.
So what? the result is the same. Unless he has other problems with his scenery

Come on Guys, no fighting, any suggestions people give are better than none at all so thank you both for offering up some ideas.I tried the FSPassengerX but that doesn't really give me what I want so I will have to dig deeper as Daveo said I will need to look into the airport data and/or scenery config cs I used to able to land at Manchester and now I can't.Could other add on scenery cause the problem, as I downloaded and installed Wolverhampton airport add on scenery, could this effect other airports in anyway as I don't have any add on's at Manchester.CheersMartin.

Do you still crash when landing with FSpassengers?
No, I just bounce off the ground, how do I get it to detect the crash without having the FSX crash detection enabled?Daveo, I tried what you said and couldn't see anything out of place on the runways, is there anything I can use to inspect the scenery surrounding the airport?CheersMartin

No, I just bounce off the ground, how do I get it to detect the crash without having the FSX crash detection enabled?Daveo, I tried what you said and couldn't see anything out of place on the runways, is there anything I can use to inspect the scenery surrounding the airport?CheersMartin
If I land too rough my wheels will explode and I won't be able to taxi off the runway

I have a suspicion it may be the default FSX windsocks... I'm working on Guam right now and discovered it appears the problem is the windsock... Will do more testing and see what happens... [edit] user error, i had something in my addon scenery folder when i was testing out old buildings for frame rates, windsock and stock scenery eliminated. However a rebuild of the AFCAD/AFX/ADE file with an exclude over the area causing the crash did solve the problem until I really tracked down the source of the error...

Dean Mountford
Ultimate VFR