Sign in to follow this  
BillW

Torrents

For most any addon a simmer might want, you see many sites offering torrents and downloads of software. Is this not theft? How do these guys get away with it. They surely cause the price of an addon to be more than it might be otherwise. I guess its like shoplifting....we all pay in the long run.

This is the sad reality of software industry. Some in this world don't have respect nor appreciation for the hard work of developers, and on the other hand, some developers raise prices to offset such loss. This is the dark side of the digital world. A balance must exist, but how, i don't really know!

For most any addon a simmer might want, you see many sites offering torrents and downloads of software. Is this not theft? How do these guys get away with it. They surely cause the price of an addon to be more than it might be otherwise. I guess its like shoplifting....we all pay in the long run.
In most cases you are undoubtedly right, but Torrent downloads are not automatically illegal copies. It is simply a file distribution method. It is better to judge what is pirated by the software offered.However, I also avoid anything distributed by the Torrent method as they have a bad reputation for distribution of viruses etc. - in some cases you aren't getting what you think you are downloading at all!John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

However, I also avoid anything distributed by the Torrent method as they have a bad reputation for distribution of viruses etc. - in some cases you aren't getting what you think you are downloading at all!John
Same here, I tend to shy away from torrents, even if the software is legal. For example, I'd rather not download the NL2000 sceneries using torrents if I don't have to, but it's necessary to get some of those files via torrent as there is no other way.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Interesting comments. I wasn't aware of virus being introduced, but that seems very logical. I also wasn't aware that it was a faster form of download. That would explain how these sight can exist.Thanks for the information.