Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My temp spread running Prime 95 looks wierd?59, 61, 71, 60; core 0 thru core 3 respectivley.Does this look normal for a I7-2600@4.4gThinking my thermal paste might not be even?Thanks Rick S.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

It's only odd because of which cores are running hot and which are running cool. Typically core 0 runs about 5-10C cooler than the other three. Cores 1-3 are usually fairly close, though. What cooler are you using, and are these temps from running prime95?

It's only odd because of which cores are running hot and which are running cool. Typically core 0 runs about 5-10C cooler than the other three. Cores 1-3 are usually fairly close, though. What cooler are you using, and are these temps from running prime95?
Looks diferent from any I have ever seen too.Using a Noctua NH-D14.Getting temps from Core Temp, which has always been reliable and yes I was running Prime-95.Just got this system up and running and trying the BIOS fast setting, no OC on my part yet.Rick S.

If all you're running is 4.4GHz and unless your ambient temp is really high, then the 71C does seem a little warm for an NH-D14. I would uninstall it and re-seat it with new paste. Remember, a rice-grain sized dot is about all you need. Just like the picture below. Don't worry about spreading it or anything like that. The pressure of the cooler will take care of that.tim2.jpg

Don't use the "BIOS fast settings" Rick. Chances are your Vcore is way too high which could well be the reason why your temps are not that great.If you applied too much TIM, reinstall like Corey explained above

Don't use the "BIOS fast settings" Rick. Chances are your Vcore is way too high which could well be the reason why your temps are not that great.If you applied too much TIM, reinstall like Corey explained above
Yeah, I already took it off the Fast setting, Prime did not like it after about 25 min.That is about how much paste I used. Would you recommend the Noctua paste or try that fancy and expensive Antec Nano Diamond Formula 7 stuff I bought; using the Noctua paste at the moment . Man, that Diamond stuff is thick and does not move or spread by hand very good.Rick S.

NT-H1 is a very good TIM
Yep, that is what I have in it right now, will reseat with it later tonight; just in case.ThanksRick S.

RickS:FYI with my i5 2500K @ 4.8 Ghz, the temp spread looks about the same...

I have removed the cooler, cleaned everything, re-pasted and re-seated the cooler about 5 times now.I have tried less paste and a little more, the results remain consistant. Core #2 runs 8-12 degrees hotter than the others.On the most recent try I thought I had it. All 4 cores ran between 28 an 33, all reporting the same temp within a second or two.Started up Prime95 running at @3.5g, default Normal BIOS, and #2 has spiked up to 57 and the others show a high of 45-46?Could Core Temp 0.99.8 be wrong? Wait, let me try OCCT and Real Temp 3.60.Nope, same thing!??Rick S..

Core # 2 is hotter now?Wasn´t it # 3..?Try turning the cooler 90 degrees..

Perfectly normal, nothing to worry about. I have 2 cores running some 8 - 10ºC hotter than the other two under full load

Perfectly normal, nothing to worry about. I have 2 cores running some 8 - 10ºC hotter than the other two under full load
Well, that makes me feel a little better although I only have one on the higher side. But isn't that a little high fo 0 OC?It has always been #2, I guess I could have said different at some point.ThanksRick S.

The high of 57 is just fine, especially if you still have the voltage on auto. I'm not really sure what causes one or two cores to be significantly hotter than all the others. Perhaps an uneven heat spreader???

The high of 57 is just fine, especially if you still have the voltage on auto.
Thanks Corey, I was not about to start tweaking until I had a a normal base system. I was worried about the temp spread, but now it's time to look at Spirit's thread on the 2600 OC'ing.I was a little afraid I would wear out the mounting threads on the cooler there for a while.Rick S.
What's the ambient temp like there Rick?
72f dazz.

Just try to keep load temps under 75C while overclocking and you will be fine.

I just rolled back to stock clocks and run Prime95. 82ºF here and max core runs at 59ºC so it looks about right Rick

I just rolled back to stock clocks and run Prime95. 82ºF here and max core runs at 59ºC so it looks about right Rick
Thanks for taking the time to do that. I have been worried about the temps since I built this box.Rick S.

Judging by the scratches on my h50, I'm thinking my 2600k is definitely a little concave in. The only scratches are where the corners of the processor meet the h50. Keep in mind my h50 is lapped back from when I lapped my Q9550 as well. Perhaps some time this summer I will get bored enough to actually lap my 2600k and we will see if that evens out the core temps. Point is, it's true for the majority of coolers. If you lap one you need to lap both. It doesn't do a lot of good to lap just the processor or just the heatsink.

I don't think Nick is especifically recommending lapping the HSF and/or the CPU in every case, just pointing out how important it is to have it properly seated and make sure the CPU is not throttling.Well, I just doubled checked my temps and the hottest core runs about 7ºC hotter than the coolest one, not 10 like I said before, sorry about that. Maybe 12 is a bit too much and maybe lapping would help there, but more than a hot core, you seem to have 3 cool ones. Lapping the CPU voids the warranty, so it's really up to you to decide if it's worth it to try or not

I don't think Nick is especifically recommending lapping the HSF and/or the CPU in every case, just pointing out how important it is to have it properly seated and make sure the CPU is not throttling.Well, I just doubled checked my temps and the hottest core runs about 7ºC hotter than the coolest one, not 10 like I said before, sorry about that. Maybe 12 is a bit too much and maybe lapping would help there, but more than a hot core, you seem to have 3 cool ones. Lapping the CPU voids the warranty, so it's really up to you to decide if it's worth it to try or not
Should I contact Intel?Rick S.

Dazz, overclocking also void the warranty, Nick is pointing out that the NHD-14 has a concave machined base so laping the cooler is something one can do to reduce the temp (also temp been more the same on all core) and also help with the stuttering, the 980x is also concave so one need to lap it to, don't know about the 2600K?