Sign in to follow this  
mgh

Blade Element Theory

The airfoil data entered in Part-Maker is 2-dimensional, so X-Plane applies finite wing lift-slope reduction, finite-wing CLmax reduction, finite-wing induced drag, and finite-wing moment reduction appropriate to the aspect ratio, taper ratio, and sweep of the wing......"Marco
I agree with your post. My question remains how are those done?

My question remains how are those done?
A lot of your questions have already been answered so a bit more gratitudewould be appreciated.I assume you don't expect us to have access to to the source code of XPor Austin to give it or equations to you if you asked??The closest you will ever get is analyzing a Cycle Dump.This gives you an instantaneous snapshot of XP's calculations.Cycle dump

I don't need to ask about FSX because I understand how it works - it uses tabulated derivatives in the .air file combined with physical values in the .cfg file. This has both advantages and disadvantages.I shall send an e-mail later (I missed in on my first reading)if the attitude is the same as here I doubt I shall learn much. Obviously, I don't expect to get source files - merely an indication of the principles involved.Why can't you be confident enough in the merits of X-Plane not to have tdescend to innuendo such ast we all know why he is "so intent"........The MSFS camp has a really hard time. for some reason, coming to grips with the fact that X-Plane is making some serious in-roads into the flight simulator arena while their beloved program is on the ropes.... retooling itself. They don't like it.....

Guest bukkohc
I don't need to ask about FSX because I understand how it works - it uses tabulated derivatives in the .air file combined with physical values in the .cfg file. This has both advantages and disadvantages.I shall send an e-mail later (I missed in on my first reading)if the attitude is the same as here I doubt I shall learn much. Obviously, I don't expect to get source files - merely an indication of the principles involved.Why can't you be confident enough in the merits of X-Plane not to have tdescend to innuendo such ast we all know why he is "so intent"........The MSFS camp has a really hard time. for some reason, coming to grips with the fact that X-Plane is making some serious in-roads into the flight simulator arena while their beloved program is on the ropes.... retooling itself. They don't like it.....
Using the famous words of Ronaldus Maximus........ "There you go again!"I appologize for upsetting you and I sincerely mean that. Please post the results of you contact with the makers of X-plane so that we can all be clear on this.Regards,Craig

I think we all know why he is "so intent"........The MSFS camp has a really hard time. for some reason, coming to grips with the fact that X-Plane is making some serious in-roads into the flight simulator arena while their beloved program is on the ropes.... retooling itself. They don't like it.....
*sigh* Pick your favorite sim, be happy with it, and quit ######ing about the differences between them...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest bukkohc
*sigh* Pick your favorite sim, be happy with it, and quit ######ing about the differences between them...
I like and own them both.....I always have. I get a little annoyed by the MSFS Zombies constantly attacking X-Plane so I poke a little fun..... and they get agitated when you say something that resonates.Are we having fun yet?Craig

Have a look at the Cycle Dump Morten was kind enough to post.That's probably as close to knowing how x plane works as you're going to get.

I shall send an e-mail later (I missed in on my first reading)if the attitude is the same as here I doubt I shall learn much. Obviously, I don't expect to get source files - merely an indication of the principles involved.
I agree some here didn't welcome you very well. However, some of us have just provided you with all the documentation you need to get a VERY good indication of XP's principles!You apparently do not understand this documentation - fine - but don't blame us foryour lack of aerodynamics/engineering knowledge.(or maybe it's just your lack of curtesy saying "thanks - I get it now") :(

I agree some here didn't welcome you very well. However, some of us have just provided you with all the documentation you need to get a VERY good indication of XP's principles!You apparently do not understand this documentation - fine - but don't blame us foryour lack of aerodynamics/engineering knowledge.(or maybe it's just your lack of curtesy saying "thanks - I get it now") :(
I've courteous and helpful replies from Andy Witt and Austin Meyer which have answered the questions that couldn't be answered here.I was going to copy it here unjtil I read your reply. For your information i have a degree in aeronutical engineering, worked on the Flight dynamics of the Hawker P1127/Harrier, and later led a team developing a flight simulator of the F4 Phantom for the UK Ministry of Defence. This included detailed models of flight dynamics, engines, AI radar, and Sparrows and Sidewinder missiles.I'ts my aerodynamic and engineering knowledge and experience that enables me to recognise ignorance and BS when I see it.

Excellent, then I guess you just lack curtesy when people are trying to help you.

I've courteous and helpful replies from Andy Witt and Austin Meyer which have answered the questions that couldn't be answered here.I was going to copy it here unjtil I read your reply. For your information i have a degree in aeronutical engineering, worked on the Flight dynamics of the Hawker P1127/Harrier, and later led a team developing a flight simulator of the F4 Phantom for the UK Ministry of Defence. This included detailed models of flight dynamics, engines, AI radar, and Sparrows and Sidewinder missiles.I'ts my aerodynamic and engineering knowledge and experience that enables me to recognise ignorance and BS when I see it.
You're welcome.(I'll be sure to choose who I help more carefully in the future. A simple "Thanks for providing the email address and telling me I could contact Austin Meyer about this" would have been nice)