Sign in to follow this  
XPX64man

Southwest Flight 812 Decompression

I thought folks might find this interesting.BobSouthwest and ATCFrom AVwebFlash (www.avweb.com): AUDIO DETAILS 737 RAPID DECOMPRESSIONAudio recordings released by the FAA last week of Southwest Airlines Flight 812, a Boeing 737 with 118 passengers aboard that suffered rapid decompression in April, detail pilots and controllers working the problem. The aircraft was at 36,000 feet flying out of Phoenix for Sacramento when a 59-inch-long gash opened nine inches wide in the top of the cabin, with a loud bang. The Southwest pilots immediately declared an emergency and began a descent to 10,000 feet. As the pilots organized, they formulated a plan to return to Phoenix, but as the situation matured they changed plans and sought the nearest available airport. That turned out to be Yuma, Ariz.. (More)

Nice find- thanks for sharing!

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

Amazing how loud it was in the cockpit initially. Can't understand a thing that was said other than "emergency decent". That and ATC coordination with the other sector "needs to descend to 10,000ft...he's going to do it anyway" lol

I believe that these are the posts that they are trying to keep out of the PMDG General Forum....but I found it interesting none the less!

<--------------->
Mike Murawski

I just posted this here because I believe that every one in here shares my interest in the 737NG and this is a very unique event involving a very popular carrier, using 737NGs which we will soon be owning also.Being that there is not a whole lot that we can talk about now while we wait quietly for the final public release, I was sure all of the future NGX owners would find this interesting.It sounded to me like the ATC was more nervous about it than the pilots, but it was a well coordinated effort, getting them on the ground.I thought it was special when the one ATC contacted the other to get permission for them to decend, waited a second, then said "They're coming down anyway!"Bob

Yeah guys, unfortunately this needs to go to Avsim hangar chat. The aircraft involved wasn't even an NG.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Yeah guys, unfortunately this needs to go to Avsim hangar chat. The aircraft involved wasn't even an NG.
Sorry. My mistake. I thought that was all that Southwest had was NGs