Sign in to follow this  
TC1

Seattle area problem

Recently I discovered the Military AI Works web site. Lots of interesting addon's and upgrades to FS9 can be found on the site. I have added a small number of their addons without any problems. Since they have numerous AI aircraft for bases located in the Seattle area, I download and installed a scenery file that upgrades MCChord AFB. The file was entiltled KTCM_JS.ZIP. After installing the file into the FS9 scenery library,I found that when I loaded KTCM it whould cause FS9 to crash. After trying the software a couple of times I uninstalled it from my computer.The problem that I have now, is that the entire Seattle area, and the airports in and around the area will either not load at all or they will load to a point and then crash FS9. Anybody have an idea what I need to do to restore the area? I am not certain that the KTCM file is the direct cause of my problem, but I expect that it may have some for of a causal effect to the problem.Tom

Recently I discovered the Military AI Works web site. Lots of interesting addon's and upgrades to FS9 can be found on the site. I have added a small number of their addons without any problems. Since they have numerous AI aircraft for bases located in the Seattle area, I download and installed a scenery file that upgrades MCChord AFB. The file was entiltled KTCM_JS.ZIP. After installing the file into the FS9 scenery library,I found that when I loaded KTCM it whould cause FS9 to crash. After trying the software a couple of times I uninstalled it from my computer.The problem that I have now, is that the entire Seattle area, and the airports in and around the area will either not load at all or they will load to a point and then crash FS9. Anybody have an idea what I need to do to restore the area? I am not certain that the KTCM file is the direct cause of my problem, but I expect that it may have some for of a causal effect to the problem.Tom
I have every conceivable bit of scery for the Seattle area, freeware and payware, and don't have a problem. My guess is that you have a duplicate AFCAD. There is a freeware utility called ScanAFD that you could use to run a check. If it started happening after you installed KTCM then I'd be willing to bet that you have a duplicate for that airfield and although you've removed the scenery, the two afcads are probably in your Addon Scenery/scenery folder. One is probably the MAIW one and the other may be one that you downloaded at some time???Good luck with itIan

Ian,Thank you for your help. I downloaded the scanafd progran, ran it, reloaded FS9, but it did not resolve the issue. Scanafd found no errors. I then made an attempt by running Flightsim Manager and it did find a couple of scenery and landclass issues, so I cleaned them up, but the problem still remains. Prior to running the two above programs, I had also ran the Flight1 Registery Tool and the FSTscenery programs.Anybody have any other ideas?Tom

Try to disable the MAIW traffic files and see if that can get you going again.

Disabling the MAIW traffic was a good idea, but still no Seattle. I did go into the scenery library and removed all MAIW scenery files and AFCADS. I then recomplied the remaining traffic files, still no Seattle. The problem seems to be limited to the Seattle area, that is that at this time I still can fly anywhere else in the world.Anybody else have any ideas that I could try?Tom

I would remove anything you added to that area. Then add them back slowly one by one to see what the problem is.Many simmers keep a log of what they have added to the sim, this way if a problem pops up you can look down your list to see where the issue is.What error are you getting when it CTD's?

I believe that I have taken everything out already, if the trusted software like the Fly Tampa Seattle package, but I'll double check. The crash occurs during the create a flight load of the sim. The sim begins to load the scenery objects,but hangs at 0% complete. It also hangs on flyovers in the region.Tom

Check your Scenery/world/scenery folder as well as addon/scenery and Nam_W folders for wayward files.

I'll check those files next, but as of this afternoon, everytine I relaod the sim, it rebuilds the scenery database.Has anybody ever seen that problem?Tom

If you are moving files in and or out it will do that.

I understand that the rebuild process occurs when changes are made to the scenery library. It's now occuring without any changes being made to the library. What is interesting is that the rebuild process without changes varies in time. The process may take as little as a second or two, or up to three to four mintues.Also the area in which I am seeing the problem is bounded by KBFI to KSEA. Airports near Seattle, such as KPAE, KTCM, KPWT, will all load. Once airbourne near Seattle the sim crashes.Tom

Hi Tom. Just a thought,......., if you have been moving scenery folders in and out of the FS9 scenery library, and up / down in priority your scenery cfg file may be messed up. That could account for FS attempting to rebuild the data files on every start of FS9 and the program crash. There are a couple of tools that can check / correct scenery cfg.FlightSimManager: @ AVSIM, file name; fsm285.zip and you will also need startfsm.zip and there is also,SceneryConfigEditor V1.0.7: @ AVSIM, file name; sceneryconfigeditorv1.0.7.zipEither of these will check and renumber if necessary. If nothing else it will help remove one possible cause. If you have already tried this or knew about this then please forgive.I hope this helps you track down your problem.Best regards,MelP.S. A updated SceneryConfigEditor is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/files/

Yesterday I ran both FlightSim Manager & FTsenery and still had the problem. This morning the sim quit regenerating the rebuild process (not certain why it quit regenerating prior to everyload of the sim). Since Seattle area appeared to be the only area messed up yesterday, no problems creating flight from other areas, I attempted a flight from Chicago Meigs to Airlake. What a found in Chicago was a bridge in the middle of the runway.Still could use addition helpTom

Ok I determined what caused the scenery regeration load issue that I was having. It operator error caused by not reseting the system clock after using FlightSim Manager. Prior to reinstalling FS9, I believe at this time that I headed down that path, is there any type of methodology that that could limit my reinstallation to just scenery files?Tom

Ok I determined what caused the scenery regeration load issue that I was having. It operator error caused by not reseting the system clock after using FlightSim Manager. Prior to reinstalling FS9, I believe at this time that I headed down that path, is there any type of methodology that that could limit my reinstallation to just scenery files? Tom
Tom, the file I mentioned above, "startfsm.zip" fixes the clock issue in FlightSim Manager so you do not have to revert time / date to use it. For what it is worth, I also recently installed "KTCM_JS.ZIP" , "knra_js.zip" and "knu9_js.zip". Yesterday I tried to start a flight from KSEA ( first time in a long time.) FS9 began loading but crashed at the end of the terrain load process. Black screen, no error message, I had to reboot to escape the black screen. After four attempts with the same result and the customary panic attack. I back tracked what I had done recently and here is what I found. Using SBuilder I had created a flatten for KTCM to match some terrain (38m) and the airport elevation with building elevations near the perimeter of the airport. I placed it in the scenery folder in "McChord AFB (KTCM)", loaded the Sim, slewed around the area to check my work and everything was fine. I did the exact same thing at KNUW, everything was fine. I went on to work on a small airport in Ontario, Canada and all the while still no problems, . . . . until I tried to load a flight from KSEA. I chose to remove the KNUW flatten from the Sim first. That fixed the "crash". I still do not know what was causing the problem or conflict. Like I expressed, I have 38m mesh, TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=20, I also have; flattens and sloped flattens for KSEA and KPAE and just a flatten for KRNT. I had never experienced any issues until I installed the KNUW flatten. I will create a new LWM2 file and try to track down the the culprit. I don't know how helpful any of this is for you and your problem but it could be relevant, so I thought I would let you know. Regards,Mel