Sign in to follow this  
Ioan92

Autoland Oddity - Neep Help.

Shift+/ arms spoilers. There's also a click spot in the VC next to "arm". When you touch down they will deploy but you must manually bring in the amount of reverse thrust you need by tapping F2 a couple of times. Then tap F1 @ 80 knots to close the reversers. I suggest mapping them to your flight controls. To my knowledge, all commercial aircraft require the pilot flying to manually engage thrust reversers. With respect to the Fail Op, it's a menu option in the FMC under PMDG SETUP>AIRCRAFT>EQUIPMENT. Scroll through the pages until you find the Fail safe/Fail Op. Please read the Introduction PDF that was included for further explanation. Enjoy Paul Wood
I dont understand those explanations in the introduction manual. It doesnt explain how to use it. I have the collins mcp, digital whatever . but always: No autoland, no flare, no rollout...

Yes, this is beyond me too. I understand cat III autoland, the two cmd buttons and so on, but I have seen nothing in the tutorial about "failsafe" and "Fail OP". And BTW, "rollout" does appear on the pfd during landing, but in my case it did not work,possibly due to my fault. In a hand landing at the end of the tutorial I had no problem stopping the plane after hitting the runway 2/3 along the length, but in the full cat III autolanding following the tutorial, the aircraft stayed on 2 wheels for half the runway, occasionally rising a few feet despite touchdown at 147 speed, and I was brakiong like hell all the way. I thought I had armed the spoilers, but maybe I had not (should not reversers and spoilers come on automatically when the brakes are armed? Or there should be an indication that the spoilers are armed.), and I had the autobrakes on 2. The plane ran off the end of the runway and crashed into the fence further along. If the spoilers and reversers have to be turned on by hand on touchdown, it is major oversight that there is no pedestal window...Worried.gif Henri
Reversers have to be set manually, always, they wont come up automatically. Usually you're just using idle reverse so you don't put much stress on the engines.Spoilers however will come up automatically upon touchdown of the main landing gear if the green 'SPEED BRAKE ARMED' sign is active. You can find this just over the EFIS. Usually you'll arm the speed brakes when the glideslope comes alive, just check for the green light and you should be ready to go.

I dont understand those explanations in the introduction manual. It doesnt explain how to use it. I have the collins mcp, digital whatever . but always: No autoland, no flare, no rollout...
Make sure you have NAV2 tuned to the ILS frequency and the first officer CRS selector to the ILS heading.

Make sure you have NAV2 tuned to the ILS frequency and the first officer CRS selector to the ILS heading.
I did: Both ILS, Both course selectors are set, Autobrake 2, both autopilots engaged , captures the loc before the glideslope...: No autoland .....

I did: Both ILS, Both course selectors are set, Autobrake 2, both autopilots engaged , captures the loc before the glideslope...: No autoland .....
EDDF 09R or 07R? Looking at the charts for EDDF the rwy is 07R which is a CATII ILS. For autoland you need a CATIII ILS. Try YBBN, Brisbane Australia, rwy 01

Okay, thought FSX doesnt provide support for difference between CATII and CAT III.FSX idea : ILS is ILS, fsx doenst care for CAT .... !`?

Okay, thought FSX doesnt provide support for difference between CATII and CAT III.FSX idea : ILS is ILS, fsx doenst care for CAT .... !`?
Not that much difference b/w autoland and manual. At DH or 500 AGL disconn A/P and hand fly the landing. Good experience / good fun.

Charts for EDDF 07R says: CAT IIIb available. @ gmcallisterI want Autoland working. Sure i could land manually, but i want to understand how it works and so on

Charts for EDDF 07R says: CAT IIIb available. @ gmcallister I want Autoland working. Sure i could land manually, but i want to understand how it works and so on
I'm looking at the charts printed 16 Feb, 2008 and they have both 07R and 07L as CATII...... All I can tell you is I have successfully performed 2 autolands at YBBN, rwy 01. Give it a try as at least you know it's a rwy that works......

FSX does not categorize runways as it's done in the real world. If it has a Localizer and a Glideslope you can perform CATIII autolands regardless what the real world chart indicates. Do you have a route in your FMC or are you just taking off and trying to autoland? This aircraft needs to be set up properly to perform according to specifications. Fly the tutorial step by step. RegardsPaul Wood

Few clarifications: CAT - given to the runway according to the ILS accuracy but not alone: Each CAT requires a certain distance of overrun area, a clear distance in the sides of the runways, clarity of ground obsticles in certain distances, etc. For the matter, even a runway only available to CAT1 landing, I can perform it automatically: I have autoland, and I have ILS equipment. It just requires me to meet the autoland requirements: 2 ILS's, 2 AP's, two sides data match. In CAT2/3, it's a whole lot of other behaviour in the cockpit itself (CRM, callouts, procedures), but in the autoland matter it's the same. CAT3C we cannot perform because there is no rollout mode, we will have to see the runway. In the other hand, no operative solution for the taxi anyway, blocking 3C to any aircraft. The only difference is company procedures, I'll give El-Al's: CAT1 we can perform and land manually. CAT2 we need to land automatically in terms of approach planning, but if one of the conditions to autoland fails during the approach I'm allowed to proceed manually. CAT3 we have to land automatically, in case of loss of conditions for autoland I need to go around, and then either wait for CAT2 conditions or go to alternate. This is because of the fail passive. Fail Passive - If during approach one of conditions for autoland fails, the entire autoland is no longer available. Failure comes to realization to the system as there is a difference between the to sides' outputs (ILS effects the CMD, and the CMD gives output). They should always be equal or very close to eachother, if they're not, one of them is 'lying'. Which one? Without a third refference, there's no way to know for sure, so the system announces: I can't be sure which way is the right one, you pilot land the plane. Fail Operate - If there's a third refference, and one fails, the other two will still match, so the system will know which CMD's output to exclude. At that point, we act as Fail Passive, with two Autopilot systems and the third failed and disconnected. I know 737NG to have always 2 autopilots and thus act as Fail Passive. Not sure how it can act as Fail Operate, unless if the newer models have an algorithm that know which CMD is the failed one (according to expected ILS behaviour). Again - don't really know, just speculating on that one.

one question: is there 737 ng that can act as fail operate in real life?
I haven't heard of any company that has this setting. I only know fail passive.