Hello,In the past I have not paid much attention to speakers, sound card etc but with the release of the 737NGX for fsx I am looking into some new sound stuff, namely, new speakers, sound card, and headphones. Speakers: 2.1 or 5.1 surround? Is a surround sound fully compatible with fsx? Any recommendations?Card: I know nothing about sound cards and what makes one better than another. Will the sound card be determined by the speaker set? (i.e. are only some surround compatible)? Again-primarily looking for recommendations on which card to get. Headphones: Want a good pair...recommendations?Primarily here looking for recommendations on which of these to get and are best for FSX. Thanks,

My advice is to spend 40 - 50 bucks on a decent sound card and get THIS:>BTW, I am affiliated in no way with this company and don't get compensated for any endorsements or recommendations, but I do love this hobby and want to share my enthusiasm about the (suprisingly!) extreme addition to the immersion level and realism this device added to my flight sim experience. To feel taxi and take-off rolls (and suddenly, NOT to feel them just as you lift off the ground, to turbulence, and that distinctinctive, soft left-right thud as you touchdown is incredibly cool!

My advice is to spend 40 - 50 bucks on a decent sound card and get THIS: > BTW, I am affiliated in no way with this company and don't get compensated for any endorsements or recommendations, but I do love this hobby and want to share my enthusiasm about the (suprisingly!) extreme addition to the immersion level and realism this device added to my flight sim experience. To feel taxi and take-off rolls (and suddenly, NOT to feel them just as you lift off the ground, to turbulence, and that distinctinctive, soft left-right thud as you touchdown is incredibly cool!
Don't see a link

I would go with Altec Lansing if you are looking for 2.1 speakers. There are decent creative sound cards. @ Chuck_B, what exactly is ButtKicker ?

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

It adds immediate vibrations through your entire chair based on sounds from the sim. The best way to explain it is to tell you to do a search on youtube and read their web page, Really, anything I say won't do it justice!

Any ideas where I can get that in the U.K.? I found a site but it only sells the 'gamer 2' one, not the simulation one (is the simulation one an add on or a separate one, not entirely sure how that works?).

It adds immediate vibrations through your entire chair based on sounds from the sim. The best way to explain it is to tell you to do a search on youtube and read their web page, Really, anything I say won't do it justice!
Aha that's great, my Altec does that :) in a way. I will check it.

There is no model built specifically for flight simulator -- the Gamer 2 is the correct one you want.

Aha that's great, my Altec does that :) in a way. I will check it.
Not like this, I can assure you!

There is no model built specifically for flight simulator -- the Gamer 2 is the correct one you want. Not like this, I can assure you!
:) Ya I know, it's just that I love my Altec's.

It really depends on what your budget is. Anything from creative: "Soundblaster Titanium"http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium-PCI/M/B001E25KDK.htmhttp://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-XFi-Titanium-Fatal1ty/M/B001BDPLJA.htm Headphones with mic?. If you only plan on using the headphones for radio comms, go for comfort. If you don't need a mic and want great quality sound. Look at pro Sony or Sennheiserhttp://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=16181&XID=O:sony%20headphones:dg_pa_gglsrchhttp://www.sennheiserusa.com/professional_headphones-headsets_headphones If you want more pro gear take a look at M-Audiohttp://m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.family&ID=PCIinterfaces One of these cards hooked up to a surround sound system will kick your &@($*.Systems go for around $250- $1500 My advice also is to stay away from USB interfaces. (Except headphones) I've always had problems due to the fact I run so many USB items. (Goflight and Such) Now, regarding FSX. It is 5.1 capable, but some 3rd-party add-ons don't program it in. Level-D 767 for example. If you upgrade your system, I also suggest upgrading the sounds from vendors like TSS.http://www.turbinesoundstudios.com/

:) Ya I know, it's just that I love my Altec's.
You put the buttkicker in between your speaker setup. You keep using your Altecs!!

You put the buttkicker in between your speaker setup. You keep using your Altecs!!
I think these Buttkicker would be having a powerful woofer to drive low frequency. I have yet to see it on youtube. Is it a small device ? Chuck_B - The next lines are not for you , don't know why but after the forum upgrade editing and posting has become weird. The lines below was a new post but whatever I do it comes to this post. Where speakers are concerned all surround do not work well for everything like movies / games, as there highs / mids / lows frequencies it will all depend on which speakers would be good for gaming.

I think these Buttkicker would be having a powerful woofer to drive low frequency. I have yet to see it on youtube. Is it a small device ?
The buttkicker is not a speaker at all. It's a vibration machine (careful now) that hooks underneath your chair and uses the LF channels to drive it.Sort of like the force feedback on ps3 joysticks only on steroids. You can still use the buttkicker if you have on headphones.

The buttkicker is not a speaker at all. It's a vibration machine (careful now) that hooks underneath your chair and uses the LF channels to drive it.Sort of like the force feedback on ps3 joysticks only on steroids. You can still use the buttkicker if you have on headphones.
Whoo fantastico.