Sign in to follow this  
RPRIEVER

Autopilot not working

Finally got it to work. I would guess the issue was that the AP doesnt work unless flaps are fully up. Where in the FCOM does it say that? Thanks for the tip.
Actually nowhere. You made it up. Next time check failures...If it is failed without being programmed to fail and assuming electrics are OK I'll tell you not to yank at the controls when AP is engaged or about to engage (broken FCC sheer rivets).

====================================

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

Actually nowhere. You made it up. Next time check failures...If it is failed without being programmed to fail and assuming electrics are OK I'll tell you not to yank at the controls when AP is engaged or about to engage (broken FCC sheer rivets).
Thanks, Doc (sorry, I couldnt resist...lol), I'm learning how to "gently" control the aircraft on takeoff, as opposed to jerking it around. This is what caused the AP to not engage. The flaps issue was a non-issue, I was kind of grasping at straws at the time because I didnt know what the answer was. I know about setting the correct stab trim, but sometimes I'll allow the plane to get a bit away from me on takeoff, and that's what is causing this AP issue. I'll get better with practice.

"After flaps and slats retraction is complete, select VNAV or set the desired climb speed in the MCP speed window. Before selecting VNAV, flaps should be retracted because VNAV does not provide overspeed protection for the leading edge devices." ~page 133 of the FCTM Doesn't say that AP won't engage though. A bit confusing because earlier it states to engage VNAV at 400ft where flaps wouldn't be retracted yet.

Here goes : do not press trim, FD bars more or less centred (there is a limit angle difference for various modes but keep them within 3 degrees and you are ok) and just a little pressure on the controls (that's where the in-trim requirement comes in). PS. I shoot people when they call me Doc. Captain Randazzo is full of holes Love.gif

E M V

Precision Manuals Development Group

You guys are missing the most important fact. PMDG has informed me that the pitch is the key to autopilot engaging. If your aircraft is pitched up too much, CMD A won't engage. Hope that helps!

Guest Tamadeez

just turn off realistic autopilot in FMC. Makes life for a simmer much merrier

The only way your AP works is when you intercept the Flight plan, mine never works till i actually on course for my first waypoint

The only way your AP works is when you intercept the Flight plan, mine never works till i actually on course for my first waypoint
Are tou talking about LNAV engagement? There are some conditions that need to be met for that, can't remember exactly what they are so I'm not going try now but it's in the manuals.Your AP should engage pretty early if you want it to, roll modes don't affect this as far as I know. Dan.