Sign in to follow this  

Not 2 graphics cards. One is the standard integrated Intel chip, the other is the actual nVidia graphics card. I could try disabling the intel graphics.

Not 2 graphics cards. One is the standard integrated Intel chip, the other is the actual nVidia graphics card. I could try disabling the intel graphics.
Yep you will have to as the integrated card is the default (Intel). You probably should have an option in the BIOS. Could you post your lappy model.

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

Its an Intel XPS L502X. No option in bios to disable it. Tried disabling in device manager but screen just turned black and had to force reboot.

Its an Intel XPS L502X. No option in bios to disable it. Tried disabling in device manager but screen just turned black and had to force reboot.
It will turn black as the Intel is the default display device. Hey that's a Sandy bridge system nice. You should be having an external vga connection on the machine , do you have an external display like a VGA monitor or a LCD ?

No. I use the standard 15" display as it's a 1080p LED screen. Yeh its a i5-2540M 2.60GHz Dual-core. 4GB 1333MHz Ram. 500GB 7200RPM HD. All for £700. But for some reason, FSX wont use the GT525M, even though in the nvidia control panel I have selected it as the preferred graphics processor. How do I make the nvidia the default display device?

Lucid Virtu should take care of switching between the IGP and the discrete GPU, I have no idea how it works or how to set it up though

No. I use the standard 15" display as it's a 1080p LED screen. Yeh its a i5-2540M 2.60GHz Dual-core. 4GB 1333MHz Ram. 500GB 7200RPM HD. All for £700. But for some reason, FSX wont use the GT525M, even though in the nvidia control panel I have selected it as the preferred graphics processor. How do I make the nvidia the default display device?
Hmm this is a bit new to me, but I will try to help as much as I can. In the the Nvidia control there should be an option to create a profile try adding fsx to it and asking the nvidia control to use the 525m. don't shut the default display device system will blank out.

Tried all that. If I run just the standard FSX.exe direct (no FPS limiter) it uses the GT525M, but launching from the .bat and using the limiter it uses Intel

Tried all that. If I run just the standard FSX.exe direct (no FPS limiter) it uses the GT525M, but launching from the .bat and using the limiter it uses Intel
Oooh is that so. hmmm. stdby.

This Optimus technology almost makes me want to go AMD

This Optimus technology almost makes me want to go AMD
Can you try this out. Move your current fsx.cfg to a safe location. Do not run the fps limiter. Load fsx from the nvidia profile. As the profile will use the Nvidia card and fsx will rebuild fsx.cfg and HOPEFULLY should put the display.device in fsx.cfg as the nvidia.

Didnt work. I right clicked fsx.exe and chose run with high performance nvidia graphics processor. It created a new fsx.cfg, I accepted all the .dll's to be run. In settings it says its using GT525M. Closed FSX. tried running with FPS limiter, it says Intel HD Graphics

What's in your fsx.cfg in the section(s)? [DISPLAY.Device.xxxxx]

Didnt work. I right clicked fsx.exe and chose run with high performance nvidia graphics processor. It created a new fsx.cfg, I accepted all the .dll's to be run. In settings it says its using GT525M. Closed FSX. tried running with FPS limiter, it says Intel HD Graphics
Ok. so it is the java thingy which is using the default display. hey have you first backup the original fsx.cfg ? stdby checking the fps limiter command options.

Could you check both your fsx.cfg the new as well the older one if they have something like nvidia under display.device It is a trial & error, And how are you starting the fps limiter ? is through a command line or is it just a click , if it is with a click what options does it show when you right click on it ? Hoping someone here who knows about it comes up with something. Hey try putting the fps limiter in Nvidia profile.