Sign in to follow this  
wingclip

FSX Control Assignments

the controls are stored here: C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls and then the file: Standard.XML Open with Notepad
Thank You Janvaane! That information was invaluable! When I opened it I was elated to see that it contained every command that was programmed via the keyboard, mouse, and/or the control profiler which included the listing of the brand of controls that I had ever set up in FSX. So first I went through the entire list and highlighted all the controllers that were on that sheet. Because I had used a number of different control systems such as CH Products, and a joystick control set I tried but did not like such as the Saitek X- 52 Pro, (way overrated), I believe that I can go ahead and delete those titles and everything that was represented by them. Of course I would save a copy of the XML before I did that. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume that after I make those changes and save it as an XML file I can then copy and paste information into FSX, (in the main section). Then when I open the "Controls" box in the FSX Settings I should see the remaining controllers and their commands. I'm going to go ahead and save a lot of information before I change it and do some tests because there are a few "blind spots" that I'm not so sure about. Apparently FSX automatically saves all the control information that it finds. Either that, or when I saved the last XML file before I change it all back to default, the result was the file I found in the link that you gave me. Thanks again I can see a lot of advantages to having access to that file. I'm sure that I read someplace in the manual of FSX how to go about finding that file but that was a long time ago.

O/S Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/ Corsair 780T case, (white)/ ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula/ 32GB (2x16) T-Force XTreem 3600MHz/ EVGA Supernova 1300G2 1300W PSU/ Intel i9–11900K (OC’d 5.2 GHz)/ MSI Ventus 3X GeForce RTX-3080 TiEKWB EK-Quantum CPU block | EKWB EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump/ EK-Quantum Momentum VRM Bridge (RGB) (fit to ASUS ROG Max XII Formula mobo)/ Dual reservoir for a total 900 mL cooling system | [2] Radiators: 240 mm & 120 mm radiators (all push/pull fan configs) | [4] Corsair LL120 RGB fans and [4] Corsair RGB strips all controlled by Corsair Lighting Node Pro and iCUE software/ | Internal Drives: [1] Crucial P5 NVME SATA 1 TB/ [5] SATA SSD’s (one 1-TB & four 500GB/ External Drives: [1] Seagate Firecuda NVMe SSD 500 GB/ [1] Seagate MomentusX, 1TB SSHD/ Philips 32” curved monitor model 328E1: 4K, 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz

Guest firehawk44
Hey There Firehawk, I thought you should know that your suggestion didn't work after all sad.png I just found out myself. I saved the "Standard.XML" file and stored it in a folder on my desktop. I then opened FSX and pressed the button that made the controller section go back to the Default setup. After that I did my various tests with the Logitech Profiler. Then today, I turned off the Logi Profiler and went back into the folder I saved the XML file in. I copied and pasted it back into the FSX section and reopened FSX. The control settings were not back! The settings that were there were the default settings, completely unchanged. I tried various things like restarting FSX under different conditions but nothing worked. I didn't try restarting the computer but I doubt that would have any affect. You sounded sure about it when you replied. If you never tried it yourself or were not certain, maybe you could have indicated that. But it's water under the bridge and I'm printing it here so no one else tries that.
I apologize for the mistake. I did get the file correct. Just not the location where the working copy is located. If I had done a search for 'standard.xml', I would have found the correct info. Hope it didn't mess you up too bad but few people visit this forum and I know you were looking for a quick answer. I do know there's a standard scenery.cfg and a working config in another folder and should have figured the controls had a working folder too but I personally do not mess around with the controls much. I'll try to do better in the future. Best regards,Jim

Say no more Firehawk! In the first pace it is I that needed to reaffirm/confirm any information I get when I ask a question anytime about anything. But that said, the worse case scenario was not that terrible. It would have meant reprogramming16 to 20 commands and I already had them mapped on paper. Doing that via the FSX panel is really very easy and would not have taken long. As it is, I have not yet tested the idea of pasting the XML file back into the FSX main folder and then checking to see if I recovered the commands I had before I went to the Default setting. I'm in the middle of something unrelated but when I get my attention back on it I'm going to have to figure out what is really happening with the XML file for controls. You see, I found that the file contained every one of my past controllers and the mouse and keyboard. In addition, each controller was listed with a 'regular' mode and a 'Slew' mode heading. In fact, there were 52 pages recorded and I'm guessing that the file just keeps getting bigger and bigger unless you delete the controllers you don't want or need anymore. Now if that's a fact, then when I clicked the Default button everything in that file that was not originally in FSX from the start would have to be ignored or a new 'Start Read" Point would have to be established for the defaults to work... I think. I say that because the Controller I had connected is the only one that was placed back to Default commands. What I mean is when I first hooked up my Logitech G940, (back when I got it months ago), I opened FSX without using the Logitech Profiler. This meant that the buttons on the controller, (Joystick and Throttle buttons) as well as some axis trim settings were activating various commands that were mapped the way the controller left the factory. Then I remapped the buttons and set sensitivities using the FSX control Window. Now before I ever had the G940 system, (which is a joystick flight system in case you don't know of it), I had done the exact same thing with my Saitek dual throttle yoke and pedal system. OK, so if you're still with me, after I clicked the Default button when I had the G940 connected, all the commands I had programmed in it went back to their factory commands. However, the Saitek controller's commands did not! Then things get REALLY STRANGE when I opened the 'Standard.XML' file that I presently have in the FSX main folder. It is supposedly the file that was made when I clicked the Default button. But when I went in there to look at it I was amazed to see that there were controllers listed which I have NEVER owned or had connected to this computer. Controllers like Thrust Master, Microsoft sidewinder, Logitech Game Pad, CH Products Pro pedals, and even a 360 XBOX!!!?If you look at yours you may see the same thing and then compare it to the XML in the link, (I guess that's a Data file location or something). I'm not sure what will happen if I paste the XML that is in the link that Janvaane gave me, to the main FSX folder. Will it simply transfer anything that is different from one to the other? These are all rhetorical questions but if you or Janvaane do know what's going on please let me know. Thanks, and please don't worry about the misinformation. I can assure you that I've done that a time or two... or three :)

O/S Windows 10 Pro 64-bit/ Corsair 780T case, (white)/ ASUS ROG Maximus XII Formula/ 32GB (2x16) T-Force XTreem 3600MHz/ EVGA Supernova 1300G2 1300W PSU/ Intel i9–11900K (OC’d 5.2 GHz)/ MSI Ventus 3X GeForce RTX-3080 TiEKWB EK-Quantum CPU block | EKWB EK-XTOP DDC 3.2 PWM Elite pump/ EK-Quantum Momentum VRM Bridge (RGB) (fit to ASUS ROG Max XII Formula mobo)/ Dual reservoir for a total 900 mL cooling system | [2] Radiators: 240 mm & 120 mm radiators (all push/pull fan configs) | [4] Corsair LL120 RGB fans and [4] Corsair RGB strips all controlled by Corsair Lighting Node Pro and iCUE software/ | Internal Drives: [1] Crucial P5 NVME SATA 1 TB/ [5] SATA SSD’s (one 1-TB & four 500GB/ External Drives: [1] Seagate Firecuda NVMe SSD 500 GB/ [1] Seagate MomentusX, 1TB SSHD/ Philips 32” curved monitor model 328E1: 4K, 3840 x 2160 x 60Hz

Again:the controls are stored here:C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controlsand then the file: Standard.XMLOpen with Notepad FSX does not use the standard.xml in the root folder of FSX; it's the standard which comes with FSX and it is copied into the C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls - folder where it adds the hardware you've connected. So changes to be made there and NOT in the standard.xml in the rootThrtottle on.Jan

Thanks Janvaane, and yes, I found that file and opened it with Notepad. But as I am indicating, there are some factors that I don't understand. Apparently, when I push the Default button, FSX refers to the XML file in the main folder. Actually, I really don't know that either. What it may be doing is referring to some 'default section' of the XML in the location that you gave me for all I know. But I think you can see what I'm confused about. It's that "Default" location and where, or which one, it is that is throwing me. The XML in the main folder must serve some purpose right? And if I want to recover the commands that I had when the Logitech G940 was connected BEFORE I clicked the Default button in the FSX control box, what would I do if not copying and pasting the info from the XML that you showed me to the XML that is in the main folder? You see? That's really my point. To recover the G940's command setting before I clicked that Default button. So I'm probably going to make some trial & error tests and see what happens when I get up the nerve and have the 3 or 4 hours to spend on it all at once :) Unless of course, you understand what I mean and know that answer.