Sign in to follow this  
Swoop

Memory Question - Speed and Timings

What's a good and stable set of timings for memory and at what speed should they run? I've seen memory that has a speed rating of DDR3-2133 with timings of 11-11-11-30 and other memory that is DDR3-1600 but has timings of CL 6-9-6-24-2N. So which one would be better with overclocking and an i5 2500K? Please advise and thanks!Mark

Sandy Bridge is able to make use of higher bandwith so normally I would recommend 2133MHz CL9, however you're running an 1156 system so it may be different. I highly recommend that first set. Mushkin is a top notch company to deal with and their memory is very reliable.

Corey Meeks

Flight Simulator - FS2020 | CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Video Card - Sapphire RX 5700 XT Main Board - ASUS ROG Strix X570-I mini-ITX | RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 2x16Gb DDR4 3600Mhz CL16 | Monitor - DELL 38" U3818DW (3840x1600) | Case - Cooler Master NR200 | CPU Cooling - Noctua NH-U12A | Power Supply - Corsair SF750 | 6x Phanteks T30 120x30mm Fans

Download: FSXMark11 Benchmark and post results here

Most say that lower CAS is better than high frequency but it won't make a huge difference really when it comes to FPS.

Thanks guys...thanks Andrew. When I was buying all of the parts for my new system, (not the one in my current sig), I was offered a pretty good deal on 8gbs of G.Skill DDR3-2133 CL11-11-11-30N...so I took it. Now that I've been getting some help from the OC experts here and reading about it as well, I've noted that many people are buying CAS 9s. I do already own X and will install it but really my SIM of choice is FS9, that is, unless MS Flight hits the scene and is deemed to be worth its salt.So if MS Flight does prove itself worthy and needs lower CAS timings, so be it and I'll buy new memory. Regardless, I appreciate the help from everyone as always :)Mark