Sign in to follow this  
misfit832

Improving performance in FSX

I'll add my question here..I've got a i7 720qm laptop, 4GB ram and 1GB ati 4670 running FSX accelerarion. I've used most of bojote's tweaks from his automated tool including pools=0.While my laptop isn't nearly high-end at all, I would've believed it to run FSX at least decent with some addons. (it runs GTA IV ~30fps)I'm running only this:- REX- Fspassengers- Pro Flight Emulator- World of Ai (ai only set to 5%) - PMDG 737 NGX- Aerosoft amsterdam/heathrow However when I try to land the NGX at either of these airports I get 10fps. I know that both the aircraft and airport are complex, but is it normal to have this kind of FPS?I'm not running any GEX or UTX and REX is set to low-res clouds, all video settings are medium at best, no anti-aliasing or aniso. Thanks

"but is it normal to have this kind of FPS?" - with a stock 920 - yes, absolutely. Whereas fps in the top left-hand corner is often quoted as being the wrong 'measurement of smoothness' in FSX - it's our only physical tool readily available to us, but 10 frames is an unmistakable slide show.Your 920 isn't doing too badly, Squish, if you can get 10 at that proc speed and with those addons!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

It's a 720qm actually (mobile). 1.6ghz, but up to 2.6ghz with turboboost.Thing is, because it uses more than 1 core it can only boost to ~2ghz.I just find it weird that it can't handle it (20fps would be fine). I mean I'm already off-loading the CPU with usepools=0, and the only addons I use on top of a stock FSX is the NGX, REX, and Mega Airport amsterdam. (I get 10fps regardless of fspassengers/pro flight emulator, ai only -1/2fps).And that's with autogen sparse, scenery dense edit: it's probably also that aerosoft's amsterdam is one of the worst on FPS, however there's no alternative for FSX..I can't even land on my home airport with a NGX now :(

sad.png

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Now whenever I use one of those HD liveries and transition to an outside view, the plane is all white (without textures) for about 3-4 seconds (and there's no sound either while white) and only then do the textures load. Oh, and they load in increments, not like all at a time. That's a major bummer because I like to use the outside views a lot while flying (yeah, that's why I got the paints...obviously). Is there any easy way to fix this? I do not have an SSD and buying one at the time is kind of out of the question. (I have read that slowly loading textures are cured with fast SSD disks)
There is actually a very, very, very simple solution for this. The thing with HD textures is that they pose no problem when it comes to FPS. Or at least, hardly noticeable and we've been making them for quite some years now. What can happen is what you describe, slower initial loading times (from the aircraft selection menu) and/or slower load times in between views. It happens once in a while. Again, the solution is very simple. I am not going to support you here on this forum though, as this is not the place to do that.. Find me on our support forum and I'll get you sorted. Terrence(McPhat)

Since the "textures loading slowly in outer views" problem is very much FSX related I figured I'd post this. So if anyone is having the same kind of problem I do have a solution! (And thanks to Terrence and McPhat's superb customer support!)

It might be that I'm simply going insane and remembering things that aren't really there... ...but I swear I saw a topic or a post that went something like "how to prevent cloud popups"Anyone know where that topic/post might be? I'm very interested in finding it since I seem to be having these appearing/disappearing clouds from time to time. By the way, what's the downside of running FPS unlimited and not using a FPS limiter? (I just ran some tests and man it was smooth with unlimited) I'm using VSync so it shouldn't go past 60 FPS anyway (or at least the picture I'm seeing from my monitor since it's 60Hz) EDIT:I found it AND it worked!http://www.simforums.com/forums/how-to-get-rid-of-annoying-flashing-clouds_topic24830.html