Sign in to follow this  
Peter James

DX10 mode worth a try again!

I have been "reusing" dx10 preview mode once again after a couple of years without it... what a difference on the NGX! fluidity ... way better than the dx9 mode, LESS STUTTERS, higher FR by about 20% more FR than in the dx9 mode... way obvious frame rates are way up, more stable throughout the entire experience from VC head movement, to ezdok positions etc etc... and I can now run in my vc with most details up (scenery dense, autogen dense) and about 30 to 40 FPS!! yes, that's way more than I was getting under dx9.. where i was happy with 20 to 30 but stuttery even with an external limiter.... this is all on my gtx280m laptop machine ...so your experience will be far different..but it has made a massive quality increase to me... I am not sure why pmdg is so against it, when clearly, performance goes way up! the NGX looks great, all lighting works great the entire fsx sky color is superior to dx9 mode.. in fact all graphics looks sharper and more true to life now the bad..... once again, I have gotten some black screens ... where fs is running but i get that dad gum "the display driver has stopped working and has fully recovered message" only to yield fsx useless.... something dx9 mode did not do ever! yet, after some tips I read about (using windows classic mode - I'm vista 64), starting in windowed mode, then goto full screen) as well as some recent windows updates, she's not crashing any more! hmmmmmmmmmm hope this is a real fix... anyone else with positive results here.. please don't yell at me for trying dx10 mode, I know most say it's evil... if it works I can deal with flickering taxiways... the rest looks phenomenal

I had display driver issues as well whenever I run dx10. I ran the old win xp interface iirc. Havent tried it in years so I cant really say for sure that I used the XP interface, but im pretty sure that I did

Doesn't DX10 disable anti-alisasing and vsync? That would explain the performance boost.
That, I believe, is correct. I'd almost swear to it.

AA works fine, I don't know why everyone things it does disable it... I have my nvidia settings for use application settings for AA and AF .... and it is checked within fsx menus.... all is good I don't use vsync, that always caused crashes for me