Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Loren Larsa

Radar Contact loading saved flight... Where?

Since we all know Microsoft can't make anything that works (Standard Microsoft quality) stuff they make are doomed to crash either often or rarely, but guaranteed to crash.Anyways, I was about to prepare my camera views to reach the autobrake controls on the aircraft and FSX crashed with the ever so MS Classic, "Unknown error."Not related but here is the issue... The manual states there is a .rcd file that you can load and it will restore everything, nice and dandy actually.So I assume even the FSX Autosave which I run every 30 seconds to counteract for Microsoft's errors and I look for this RCD file to load...And this is where the problem starts, I use Radar Contact 4.3 and it is NOWHERE to be seen!So my first question is, where is it supposed to be saved?Or is it bugged so it is useless? Does it depend on a certain save action etc?Having it tied to the autosave system is very beneficial for a MS product due to its quality though.

The Microsoft autosave system does not include RCD files. See page 13 in the FSUIPC4 user guide. It states a registered copy is required but see if this tab comes up with RC's included registration. This includes RCD files which are paced in your .pln folder as you defined in RC's flt/wxr path setting. (FS9 users require a separate autosave.dll download from the main downloads page in the pinned topic.)

i can't accept your premise. if a program has no bugs, then it's a trivial program. if you click the .flt/.wx button in rc, enter the path where fs stores the .flt and .wx files. then rc will know where to write the .rcd files. if you still have problems, make a log, instructions pinned to the top of the forum. duplicate the problem, try to save a .rcd file, by any of the available methods. then zip up the log file, and send it to me, with a sentence or two about where you tried to save a .rcd i'll tell you where it went. also make sure, fs is running, not paused, when you try to save the .rcd file. and fs has to have focus, when you press the ; or ctrl-shift-; keys jd

Well, I mean MS stuff crashes so often and spews out errors that it makes you wonder. "Did they ever test this?"Radar Contact haven't crashed, so hats off to that, but I do wish we had access to its main window during running to change settings such as keys etc etc if required, and also to easily verify that it runs.As for MS quality, I have only seen ONE game / program from MS that was actually good and solid, and that was Freelancer, that engine was probably tested thoroughly and I have only seen it crash when I overloaded the game engine (Gave it values that went off the chart in the settings)I set the path for the files now to be in the same folder where my autosave flights are located, I run both FSUIPC on saving duty as well FSXSave which doesn't save as often as FSUIPC but is a nice fallback if FSUIPC should fail to save (Can happen when close to the crash for an example.)Now that I think of it, I have only seen one oddity in RC and that was a close call with a Dash 8 at 12000 feet where I got 0.6 miles and it was straight in front of my nose, but no traffic alert from the ATC about it or any divertions...Sadly, the plane I flew at that time didn't have a TCAS so I had no warning until it was there :(

You can bring up RC's window during a flight using alt-tab. Key assignments and some other items ca not be made on the fly and require a restart for RC.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

43%
    $10,910.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now