Sign in to follow this  
sho69607

Reading STAR and SID charts for PMDG

I have a few questions about the charts. On a SID chart a waypoint is given with an altitude. Is this the altitude that the plane must be above when passing a said waypoint? For example I am following the Silow One Departure out of KPHX. It shows the waypoint silow with an altitude of 15000FT next to it. Is this rule the same for star charts? do I need to be above or below the listed altitude.

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

anyone know what Im doing wrong?

~Spencer Hoefer

MOBO: Gigabye Aorus z590 elite | CPU: Intel i9-10900k  | RAM: GSKILL RIPJAWS 32GB DDR4 3200 |GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti 11GBOS: Windows 10 

Depends. If the altitude has a bar under it (underlined), you must be at or above that altitude when crossing the waypoint. If it has a bar over it, you must be at or below that altitude when crossing the waypoint. If the altitude has a bar both above and below it, you must cross the waypoint at that altitude exactly. SILOW has 15000 listed next to it, so you must be at or above 15000 feet at SILOW.

so if there are no lines, I guess that is the minimum altitude you must be at? and the rule is the same for stars as well?the altitudes with no lines, are the ones I see that are along sides the arrows pointing to the next waypoint.

~Spencer Hoefer

Ok thank you!

~Spencer Hoefer

I have a few questions about the charts. On a SID chart a waypoint is given with an altitude. Is this the altitude that the plane must be above when passing a said waypoint? For example I am following the Silow One Departure out of KPHX. It shows the waypoint silow with an altitude of 15000FT next to it. Is this rule the same for star charts? do I need to be above or below the listed altitude.
check these video out there about 4 of them

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The numbers next to the lines are MEA, MOCA, magnetic track, and distance. Between SILOW and the Winslow VOR (INW), for example, you have:

• Minimum Obstacle Clearing Altitude (MOCA) is 9,600'. If you are flying at this altitude between SILOW and INW you are at least 1,000' above the highest terrain and any obstacles - useful to know in an emergency
  • Minimum enroute altitude (MEA) is 15,000'. MEA guarantees obstacle clearing, and that you are at an altitude where communication with ATC is possible.
  • The magnetic track is 36 degrees.
  • The distance is 48 nm

Hi Spencer, I just had a look at the SILOW1 SID from KPHX and indeed you need to cross SILOW at or above 15000feet. Also be noted on this SID that the initial climb is to 7000feet. There are different types of altitudes on SID's and STAR's. At or above, At or below or Cross at excactly. Take a look at the MAHEM.MAHEM2 STAR into KPHX and you'll find these restrictions as well. It is of utmost important that you cross waypoints at the excact altidude depicted on the chart. Mainly for Noise, Terrain clearance or airspace seperation. When ATC clears you to a different altitude then the crossing restriction still applies. they may say "xxx cleared for the MAHEM2 arrival, decend to FL100." When using VNAV it'll take care off all this for you. I find Jeppesen and EAG's charts much better than the FAA charts. Hope this helps