Sign in to follow this  
royski

What is cutback? How does it affect takeoff performance?

You're more than welcome. I'm a little obssessed with quiet departures myself. Adds a couple of notches to the challange of perfoming a nice takeoff. I'll read up on the manual about cutback and try it myself later this week. I think NADP's days are numbered though. With engines growing ever quieter and acft evolving ever more into rockets with amazing first segment performances, the day will come when even airports placed smack in the middle of town will not care how jet acft depart. People will actually start to miss the roar of departing trents, rolls-royce and G&E beasts. I know I will.Then again, we are weird bunch of people :) Nothing beats the beautiful music of a departing 737-200 or 707. Except for a Saturn V, Discovery, Atlantis, and Endeavour.

• Like 1

I gotta try the orange county noise abatement procedure, thanks to this thread I have learned alot about what seems to be the strictest noise abatement in the U.S.

Hahah. Good one.. Some airports have different procedures, you just have to look at the charts to see their noise abatement warnings and the airports often have a warning sign if you are in a noise sensitive area.. The pilot rooms also have posting of detailed procedures as well... ATC and safety have the authority over any noise abatement procedure, sometimes they can get ridiculous and can't be followed fully, but you do the best you can..Point your aircraft at this heading when holding short blah blah.. Darn Town hall meetings.. Praying.gif
I've been reading through noise abatement procedures for a few Australian airports. YPPH and YMML in particular. None seem to actually talk about N1 cutbacks at all. All that is discussed is runway priorities at various times of the day, and altitude restrictions over populated areas. So where does this leave us regarding the cutback function? Is it only specific to some countries? Ref.http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/dap/MMLNA01-114.pdfhttp://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/dap/MMLNA02-114.pdf http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/publications/current/dap/PPHNA01-126.pdf

I find it almost impossible to find noise abatement procedures for the freely available charts on the net. The very few airports I know about having special procedures (London Heathrow is an example, about 1000 ft climb thrust, accel height 4000ft) I found by accident on google. I have no idea which airports are NADP 1 or 2, anyone happen to know of a list for all the major airports?

I find it almost impossible to find noise abatement procedures for the freely available charts on the net. The very few airports I know about having special procedures (London Heathrow is an example, about 1000 ft climb thrust, accel height 4000ft) I found by accident on google. I have no idea which airports are NADP 1 or 2, anyone happen to know of a list for all the major airports?
Nonsense. Eurocontrol for example have up to date current abatement procedures for every airport in europe where applicable, as far as I know. Here's Heathrows: http://www.ead.euroc..._2011-08-25.pdf Still doesn't seem to say anything much about cutbacks either :S

Guest tonyf38

Different carriers have different procedures depending on the fleet type.. The classics might have a different procedure depending on the carrier, the -700 can be different that the 800/900 etc .. Some go to climb thrust at 800' above field elevation, some at 1000 feet.. Some go to an immediate constant climb at V2+ 20 to 2500' then accelerate to flap retraction schedule.. or you can reduce pitch at 800' or 1500' and accelerate to flaps up schedule.. Some use derated climb power, some don't.. Depends on the airline and airport noise abatement procedures and some airports have 'close in' departure procedures with a high senstive area right off the runway that requires more significant power reduction.. Airports get calls and complaints every single day even though they know they live right next to an airport.. I would just say for the NGX, to not get to picky about it and use some variety..

Still doesn't seem to say anything much about cutbacks either :S
Depends on the carrier and aircraft..