Sign in to follow this  
newtie

Where's the water?

Hi- I just installed Simsavvy CA and I'm in a Bell south of KSFO. All the brown you see in the pic is supposed to be water. Any suggestions? Thanks,Mark

hi,I've never heard of this problem with SS before. If you unselect SS CA, what does it give, do you get the water back?
The water reappears after unchecking CA in the scenery library. It looks like jagged squares sticking out into the bay. My guess here is that the scenery has not been adjusted to fit the existing coastline which totally wrecks the SF bay area (I live here). Is there an easy, selective way to match the water with the coastline? If not, Sim Savvy won't work for me. I'll post this over at the SS forum under California and see if there are any options over there.

hi,I had reached the same conclusion; I flew from KSFO to KSQL but could not see your problem. Where is it located precisely, I'll check it
Here's two more shots. All that brown should be water. i included SFO (Flightbeam) for a reference. I also disabled FTX in FTX Central thing that it may have had a bearing on this but there is no difference.

The water reappears after unchecking CA in the scenery library. It looks like jagged squares sticking out into the bay. My guess here is that the scenery has not been adjusted to fit the existing coastline which totally wrecks the SF bay area (I live here). Is there an easy, selective way to match the water with the coastline? If not, Sim Savvy won't work for me. I'll post this over at the SS forum under California and see if there are any options over there.
I 've just flown over the bay up to sausalito and everything looks fine . Do you have the redone version of CA?

I 've just flown over the bay up to sausalito and everything looks fine . Do you have the redone version of CA?
Larry sent me the 50cm version as a trial. Do I need to have a base version installed or something?? Iabsolutely love the scenery except when you get next to the water and that pretty much ends it.

hi, the secnery is gorgeous but there is no watermasking, maybe one day it will be available. In the meantime, it does not really bother me because I fly over the main land. you don't need to have the base verion, it is another file that's all
Is watermasking something Larry has to do, or something I can tackle? It would be a shame to nix this whole thing because there's no water in a specific area, that is, SF bay.

Is watermasking something Larry has to do, or something I can tackle? It would be a shame to nix this whole thing because there's no water in a specific area, that is, SF bay.
Hi my friend In the "read before purchasing" caviat it is stated that there are no watermasks so it is no surprise that you don't see the the water. I don't know what larry's plans are about water masking. Consider that SS covers 48 states and water surfaces are a tiny percentage of the covered area. I remember that among the guys who asked for this sub forum there were some wizards who offered Larry their help in creating water masks. In the meantime you can install bluesky tiles (freeware) or megasceneryearth tiles -3 for the SF bay area- (payware). They are great and work well on top of SS and they have water masks. Hope this helps.

Hi my friend In the "read before purchasing" caviat it is stated that there are no watermasks so it is no surprise that you don't see the the water. I don't know what larry's plans are about water masking. Consider that SS covers 48 states and water surfaces are a tiny percentage of the covered area. I remember that among the guys who asked for this sub forum there were some wizards who offered Larry their help in creating water masks. In the meantime you can install bluesky tiles (freeware) or megasceneryearth tiles -3 for the SF bay area- (payware). They are great and work well on top of SS and they have water masks. Hope this helps.
Thanks and I'll give that a try! I'm actually thinking about doing some of my own photoscenery. It seems to work very well on my system and I'm not quite sure why! No autoden? Hmmmm..

Thanks and I'll give that a try! I'm actually thinking about doing some of my own photoscenery. It seems to work very well on my system and I'm not quite sure why! No autoden? Hmmmm..
Well, tried it and it doesn't work. I have Bluesky on top of CA50cm in the scenery library and the jagged edges are still there in the bay. Not sure what's going on here...

hi, I've had no problem with bluesky or megacenery earth on top of Simsavvy (not in SFO because, I 've not ried it) but I've read in the bluesky FAQ that this issue can arise. http://www.blueskyscenery.com/faq.html There is a suggested fix. Maybe it works with megascenery earth, that have good sales from time to time

Not sure what is going on by looking at your picture, but with no water masking, you will be getting texture only and not actual FSX water. Adding a water mask is easy on a smaller scenery, not sure what is invoved in how Sim savvy resamples his scenery. Should be feasible, but with larger areas, it gets kinda cumbersome producing a water mask the old fashion way. With the new 50 cm resolution scenery, i am very tempted to purchase since it would be a good base for many of my smaller projects and save me a ton of work newtie, photoscenery is the way to go and yes, the reason for your good perfornance is the lask of autogen, But high res scenery WITH autogen is fantastic when you can find it. Here is one I have been working on, a fictional island getaway with custom HR photoreal, objects, water masks and autogen..mytropics.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

...newtie, photoscenery is the way to go... Depends. Because I live in the SF Bay Area, no rex water (which is available without PS) isn't gonna work. This may or may not be the case with others. I done a bit of research regarding watermasking/blending photoscenery and it looks like you need the original source files to accomplish same. Don't see that happening with Simsavvy.