Sign in to follow this  
namida

Flare and Idle thrust

Oooohhhh no it won't :D

Tail dragger = floating is good, it's done deliberately. 737 = floating is bad, it needs to be put down firmly. Ergo, you won't try and land one like the other. What exactly is it you don't understand?

What exactly is it you don't understand?

Now, now. Be nice :)

Tail dragger = floating is good

Depends what you mean by floating. My definition is attempting to land too fast for the conditions and be stuck in ground effect resulting in a long landing. I don't think that is good for anybody, in any aeroplane, on any runway in any conditions.

I write with the experience of being PA17 ex-owner, ex-tailwheel instructor and 737 pilot with a only few thousand hours, so there is still room for improvement, but I have never attempted to float a landing in either aircraft. All I am saying is that to three point a tailwheel and to land a 737 the process is to simply set the appropriate pitch attitude and touch down with that attitude, I have always found that an interesting similarity.

Here is an extract from the 737 FCTM:

A smooth thrust reduction to idle also assists in controlling the natural nose-down pitch change associated with thrust reduction. Hold sufficient back pressure on the control column to keep the pitch attitude constant.

When attempting a three point landing with a tailwheel, you increase the pitch attitude until the attitude is the same as attitude for the aircraft resting on the ground with all three wheels, then you hold that attitude until touchdown.

Perhaps my description is lacking and I have omitted an important detail, but I can't see how a 737 could possible float and go off the runway when applying that technique with the correct glidepath, speed and configuration.