Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WotanUK

OOM Errors

Hello, Using the NGX i have started to get out of memory errors at the end of 3+ hour flights. I have seen screenshots of people using dense scenary and complex aircraft. So my question how does one not get these OOM errors? Any advice? My investigations (if that is the correct word) have shown that i can run at around 3.2Gb in use with no issues anything above that and i get the dreaded message (the OOM one). However the simulator does continue running until i click OK, at which point it shuts down. I am running traffic, but only airline traffic and only at 20%, performance wise (by which i mean CPU), my system isn't even breaking a sweat, it sits at around 25%. I have no stuttering issues or anything else. I have read comments from Ryan at PMDG that gfx card memory limits what can be used by the sim, well my 6970 is 2Gb, but i can run at 3.2Gb, meaning that the graphics card is not limiting the sim to 2Gb, in fact the minimum i have seen it run at is just over 2Gb. Turning off traffic (i run My traffic x) does help, but i don't really want to loose the small amount of traffic i have running, it helps make the sim less sterile... Any ideas? Thanks

Ian R Tyldesley

I made a large thread about this issue, on my initial findings... buried somewhere in here hehe. You can also find Ryan's (PMDG) findings in their forums. The jist of the issue: Oversaturated Virtual Address Space. The NGX makes OOM's easier for starters. But plenty of people run without OOM's. Do you have any custom edits to your CFG? Any LOD radius increases? What about addons? Flying in Orbx land? Think of the size of the VAS of about 4GB. If FSX needs all 2GB of your video memory (which I highly doubt it ever would), you'd subtract 2GB from 4GB (size of VAS), and end up with 2GB. Using a program called Process Explorer:http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653 ...You'd select "virtual size" under the tab options, and when FSX usage exceeds 2GB's you'd have an OOM. If you're video card is only using 500MB of memory, subtract .5 from 4GB and you would get OOM's when FSX virtual size reaches 3.5GB's....which is usually where I receive them. I always get OOM's in ORbx Land, running the NGX, so I have to turn sliders down to something more manageable. I make custom cfg files with say lod 4.5 and normal autogen, and low water when I fly with NGX. So, in short, you need to turn down settings. Some settings will affect VAS more than others... autogen and LOD radius is a big one. Try lowering the LOD radius to 3.5 (in-game should be the next slider below max). I realize 3.5 looks like crap but it will help.

|Ryan Butterworth|

| i7 4790K@4.4GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA GTX 1080Ti | ASUS Z97-Pro | 1TB 860 Evo | 500GB 840 Evo Win10 Pro | 1TB Samsung 7200rpm | Seasonic X750W |

Thank you for your response, i read the threads on OOM's including Ryans and the thread you created. No Orbx (they don't seem to create Europe land), however i do have fsglobal, gex and utx. I'm surprised that people can use addons at all, my gfx card cannot be causing the issue, despite the fact it is 2gb, the simulator can use up to 3.2Gb without issues, so the gfx card must be using around 700mb. I do have edits in fsx, namely the ******* tweaks. I agree on autogen, it makes about 1 gb of difference. If Prepar3d gets to 64-bit FSX is going in the bin! Praying.gif

Ian R Tyldesley

Guest jahman

Easyiest fix: Patience! NGX SP1 is coming-out the first week of October with about 100 bug fixes.P3D is FSX, and FSX will never go to 64-bits. Cheers, - jahman.

• Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.
  • Donation Goals

AVSIM's 2020 Fundraising Goal

Donate to our annual general fundraising goal. This donation keeps our doors open and providing you service 24 x 7 x 365. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. We reset this goal every new year for the following year's goal.

43%
    $10,910.00 of $25,000.00 Donate Now