Sign in to follow this  
Paul Deemer

Latest Progress of the NGX Repaints by McPhat

I shot you down? Really Alex? Did I? Cause I can quote my answer to you and to me I simply explained to you why we can't sell em separately... Terrence
Come on Terrence my comment was a little tongue in cheek you have read a little too sensitively into my comment I think... Apologies for the mis-understanding

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

I can understand why they can't sell individual repaints. However the Regional Idea suggested above is a good one. Or a pick and mix option. Choose 10 liveries for a certain bundle price. But that will probably never happen cause then you only buy 1 Package Set. That is one reason I have not bought anything from them cause the liveries I use are spread out to much and I would have to buy 2 or 3 packages to get all of them. I bet there are more people out there that feel the same way and that is money they are losing.

Come on Terrence my comment was a little tongue in cheek you have read a little too sensitively into my comment I think... Apologies for the mis-understanding
Just checking Alex.. 'Shot down' doesn't sound all that nice, but alright.
I can understand why they can't sell individual repaints. However the Regional Idea suggested above is a good one. Or a pick and mix option. Choose 10 liveries for a certain bundle price. But that will probably never happen cause then you only buy 1 Package Set. That is one reason I have not bought anything from them cause the liveries I use are spread out to much and I would have to buy 2 or 3 packages to get all of them. I bet there are more people out there that feel the same way and thati s money they are losing.
Interesting Paul. Two things: 1. We did actually look at the 'regional' thing. We've been doing the mix thing for quite a while now, but with every project we look at the way we should package the liveries and every time we come to the conclusion that for us, it would be a stupid thing to do. Now, in all fairness, we base our numbers on a certain NG project we did in the past, which was also based on regional packages. This showed us that Asian, African, South American packages don't sell all that well (and that's an understatement), but they take just as much time as an European or North American package. In order to counter that, we mix them up. 2. You might think it is money we're losing and it might even be the case, the only way to find out is to be in a perfect world where we could do both (World and Region), for the exact same developer at the exact same time in 'space'. Fact is that if you are really interested in a certain livery, you'd buy it. About the pick and mix : It is also something we looked at. The downside would be that we'd have to step away from the automated system. People would pick (perhaps with a checkbox system) and we would have to manually send them all the packages. It would also mean we'd have to compile an installer for every single livery, which will add overhead. In the end, everything is possible of course, and an automated system could be build for this scenario as well, but in all honesty: The cost that goes with building such a system is something we can't cough up. If we'd sell hundreds, thousands of them: Yes. But we don't. But I will be sure to discuss the Regional setup, see what we come up with. Last but not least, we do try to make a package as tempting as possible, so for instance, if I look at the MD-11 World Airliners 4, you'll get FedEx, UPS, Martinair Cargo, Lufthansa Cargo, World Airways. Not the smallest Freighter operators. Either way guys, it all comes down to : Overall; You don't HAVE to buy anything. If you're happy with Normal Definition, there's plenty of freeware liveries out there. If you're not an 'outside' guy, but solely fly the aircraft from the VC, there's no use at shelling out even a cent. I -myself- am one of those 'outside guys', things have to look good first and work good later (Style over Function! ;)), so if I look at the add-ons I buy you'll find a REX, FSD, ORBX, FlyTampa scenery mostly. Things that will make my sim look good opposed to add-ons that add functionality. So no matter how good the TSS soundpacks are (and they're good, if not the best, I bought one a really long time ago), I won't spend money on it, cause I don't care so much for sound. The same with textures, if you don't care for looks, spend your money on something you do care for. Best, Terrence

For those criticizing McPhat for the before and after comparison, I don't believe it's entirely their fault.They posted the after picture a week or two ago on Facebook, but to my memory they didn't post a before picture. The before picture was added in the comments to the McPhat picture, and was (at least, that was my assumption) provided by an end user, not McPhat themselves.Hence while I agree the comparison is fairly misleading, I don't believe it was a comparison McPhat made, and I doubt the end user who made the before image was intentionally being misleading either -- likely they just didn't consider the differences in lighting, and didn't have the same setup in FSX that McPhat do.As for whether the thread is appropriate here, I'd like to think it is. It's a product that is only of interest to NGX owners, after all, and nobody is going to buy it without buying PMDG's product. Nor does it really compete with PMDG's products, since they don't charge for their own liveries.I say that as somebody with no connection to McPhat beyond being a satisfied owner of some of their ERJ liveries. (Well, they could use improving their installer, but otherwise satisfied.) Shame that since the NGX, I can't really bring myself to fly the ERJ lately -- it's just not in the same league sim-wise.

Mike Tomkins
Knoxville, TN
Flight Sim user since the subLOGIC / Apple II days

The stock textures are great in the NGX. And since pretty much the only livery I fly with is the AAL, I will gladly take McPhatts free AAL paint job for the FSX and kindly not buy anything from them. Too many people are doing great paint jobs for add on planes and not charging a dime for them. I have no time for those who think anything for FSX is subject to pay. I will take what they give me for free. But I am of the mindset already put forward here, I am going to spend most of my time in the flight deck anyway, flying the plane.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

That was a reasonable explantion Terrance. Thanks for taking the time to explain your companys position on liveries and packages.

Well, they are good at what they are do and I have been supporting them, buying the product from them, Bit dissapointed with the 747-400 PMDG they have made too many mistakes on their repaints even though they corrected it. They should check the repaint thoroughly before they released it to make sure it is correct and save time for themselves.
And I thank you for your support Dez. Absolutely right there, too many mistakes slipped through on the 747. As always, to thank you (and everybody else who spends their hard earned money on our work), we fixed it as soon as possible. For the NGX, Leen is back Quality Controlling and he is brought his 'usual stickler attitude' to catch as many as possible. ;)
That was a reasonable explantion Terrance. Thanks for taking the time to explain your companys position on liveries and packages.
You're welcome. Look Paul, we're not in a money making business. If we wanted to make money, we'd be making iOs Apps and not 'do textures', trust me. So we try to reach middle ground when it comes to combining packages. But like I said, I will be sure to look into Regional packages. It might turn out badly for us and good for the customers or the other way around, who knows? ;)