Sign in to follow this  
SQUAWKIDENT

X-Plane newbie - some questions

Hi guys, I've installed the full x-plane 9 DVD's and played around with it last night so now have a couple more questions... 1: 2D cockpit. I can only see the top half of the coaming. Same problem in most of the aircraft I tried. How do I change the view so I can see all the main instruments (I can "zoom out" in 3D view by changing the "field of view" in rendering options but this has no effect on the 2D cockpit view). 2: Handling. My main reason for buying x-plane is for realistic flight dynamics. RealAir Simulations sadly don't make any aircraft for x-plane so I first need to find an aircraft with realistic handling qualities. Are there any tested and flown by real pilots rated on that particular aircraft? At the moment all the aircraft I've tried fly like RC toys. Way too over-sensitive. Am I supposed to change the flight dynamics myself to try and make them fly realistically? Or do they come ready to fly? Wil I get anything more with payware or is all the money being spent on eye-candy (like with most FSX aircraft addons). Would appreciate any help or advice, Thanks Adam

1. You can't change the view to see all the instruments. You can just go up, down, left and right using the arrow keys. This is the standard 2D layout. SOME add ons have a full 3D cockpit and you can mess around with "field of view" for those. 2. Like I said in your other post. With freeware, you get what you pay for. If Real Air were going to make add ons for x plane, it would be payware. Many people who decide to make freeware for x plane do so with limited knowledge on how to create realistic flight models.I have noticed quite a large number of FSX simmers come to x plane and asking for PMDG quality freeware. This just isn't going to happen and it is unfair to assume it will.The payware that is available for x plane is a different story. I am rated on 4 aircraft. 2 of which I have made for x plane. The Duchess and the Sundowner. They have eye candy AND excellent flight dynamics because they were both tested by me and my old flight instructor. The Duchess has 2 pages of reviews on the x-aviation website and all but 1 give it 5 stars out of 5. The latest one gives it 4.All the other add ons at x-aviation are excellent quality. The MU-2 is one of the biggest sellers for x plane. Have a look at the x-aviation store at http://www.x-aviation.com and also the x-plane.org store at http://www.x-plane.orgI can't vouch for all of x-plane.orgs products as I don't sell through them, but x-aviation has extremely high quality add ons.

re 1: ah ok. I'll stick to 3D cockpits then. re 2: so do any of the default aircraft in x-plane have authentic flight dynamics? Seeing as it's being sold as a "simulator" rather than a "game" one would hope so?

re 1: ah ok. I'll stick to 3D cockpits then. re 2: so do any of the default aircraft in x-plane have authentic flight dynamics? Seeing as it's being sold as a "simulator" rather than a "game" one would hope so?
The vast majority of default aircraft in x plane have been re-used over several versions. They were made way back when the user base was very small. As is with FSX, you will not find accurate flight models and accurate systems in the default aircraft. I could make a very basic flight model with very basic systems for x plane in about 2 or 3 days. They are designed to get you in the air and flying. They are not meant to be compared to real aircraft. X Planes key feature is it's core flight model and what developers do with it. In that sense, it is a flight simulator. You won't find one dedicated x plane user calling x plane a "game". An add on is only as good as the developer making it. Unfortunately, many people give flight model design a go, not realizing it can take many months to make an accurate one. I'm working on a Saab 340 now that has been 2 years in the making. A year of that (full time) was just for the flight model.

OK thanks for the info. I'll try and find a suitable payware training aircraft. Not interested in anything bigger than single prop trainers right now as I want to try and use it as a teaching aid for new PPL students. I like the sound of the Plane Maker. I'll have to have a go with that sometime!

OK thanks for the info. I'll try and find a suitable payware training aircraft. Not interested in anything bigger than single prop trainers right now as I want to try and use it as a teaching aid for new PPL students. I like the sound of the Plane Maker. I'll have to have a go with that sometime!
There's a few around. Carenado has a couple for x plane. X-aviation has a C152 and also my Sundowner (Musketeer).

...Would appreciate any help or advice, Thanks Adam
XPFR has the largest range of freeware, decent addon aircraft including quirky french GAs, and a heap of scenery:http://www.xpfr.org/?body=aero_accueil All good for illustrating the basics I'm sure, including spins/stalls. I still love their Alphajet, definitely not a nimble high speed jet unless you know how to set her up and handle. That can certainly be used to illustrate the effect of weight (a heavy ordinance) on an underpowered jet.

I agree with Adam, I tried x-plane 9 demo C172 and I have certified PFC setup and it was way to sensitives and way off compared to my real life flying or some of the good add ons I have for FSX. I tried to play with the settings but it didn't help much and I hope x plane 10 with change this especially with other big developers making something more realistic with better flight dynamics.

Hello !

I agree with Adam, I tried x-plane 9 demo C172 and I have certified PFC setup and it was way to sensitives and way off compared to my real life flying or some of the good add ons I have for FSX.
Did you try this ?
If the plane still feels squirrelly or overly sensitive, go back to the Center tab of the Joystick & Equipment window and try dragging the three sliders on the right side of the screen (labeled stability-augmentation—shown in the following image) all the way to the right.
Source: http://wiki.x-plane.com/Chapter_8:_Expert_EssaysHappy flying.