Sign in to follow this  
misgav

suddenly out of memeory

I upgraded my pc two months ago. I reinstalled FS9 and FSX and all the addons sucessfully.I admit it was a long hard process under Windows 7 32 bit.i've been running both versions without a hitch until today,.Out of memory warnings appear in both fs9 and fsx.The only new thing I have installed that could be related was GE Pro last night.In GEP I ran the texture installer.Today the oom errors started.I did a defrag, registry fix, disk cleanup but the problem persisted.The windows error report is as follows: iles that help describe the problem:C:\Users\Eytan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER5AD.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xmlC:\Users\Eytan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER31FC.tmp.appcompat.txtC:\Users\Eytan\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCE0D.tmp.mdmp Is the GEP install the source of the problem, or is it unrelated? Eytan Ornstein Intel Core i5 2500 CPU @3,3GHZGeForce 9800GT 512MB GPUDDR3 4GBSATA 3 hd 1TBWindows 7 32 bitSamsung Synchmaster 931BF 19" monitorMAG Proview 21" monitorThrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS XVRInsight M-panel

Guest firehawk44
I upgraded my pc two months ago. I reinstalled FS9 and FSX and all the addons sucessfully.I admit it was a long hard process under Windows 7 32 bit.i've been running both versions without a hitch until today,.Out of memory warnings appear in both fs9 and fsx.The only new thing I have installed that could be related was GE Pro last night.In GEP I ran the texture installer.Today the oom errors started.I did a defrag, registry fix, disk cleanup but the problem persisted.The windows error report is as follows: iles that help describe the problem:C:\Users\Eytan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER5AD.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xmlC:\Users\Eytan\AppData\Local\Temp\WER31FC.tmp.appcompat.txtC:\Users\Eytan\AppData\Local\Temp\WERCE0D.tmp.mdmp Is the GEP install the source of the problem, or is it unrelated? Eytan Ornstein Intel Core i5 2500 CPU @3,3GHZGeForce 9800GT 512MB GPUDDR3 4GBSATA 3 hd 1TBWindows 7 32 bitSamsung Synchmaster 931BF 19" monitorMAG Proview 21" monitorThrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS XVRInsight M-panel
Yes, you have to install the /3GB switch for 32 bit OS's. Check out the following link which explains why and how to install it - http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html. Best regards,Jim

i generally advise people not to do this. for reasons why check outhttp://blogs.msdn.com/b/ptaylor/archive/2007/06/15/fsx-and-win32-process-address-space.aspxfor one thing, its not a free lunch. giving more memory to User Apps detriments memory that would be given to the System such as file caching.upgrading to say windows 7 64 bit is the safest way to access more than 2GB.happy simming

All I can say is that I have used the bcdedit switch on my Vista 32 bit system for years without problem. And I do video editing on this system, also.The OP has a nice system. It won't help with OOM, but I think his computer would benefit from the low prices on better GPUs. I have run an 8800gt (pretty much the same as your 9800gt) and my current GTX 260. Subtle, but there is improvement. And you can get much more GPU now for much less than I paid for mine.While a 64 bit system may be the best way to go, it is not the only way.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Adding 3GB switch to x86 system is not a very good idea, it will only "delay" some things so to say. Installing a x64 system, as someone said, and adding to FS exe file LARGE ADDRESS AWARE is different thing.Generally speaking, adding 3GB switch to x86 system will not help at all...There is million reason for OOM...scenery, add on aircraft, etc...After 10 years, i've never had OOM in FS. The only thing that make my FS "memory leak" was CLS planes. Because they put textures in wrong place and double them, but they learn a lesson so there is tutorial on their forum how to fix it.I never see FS using more than 1GB memory, with PMDG, lvlD, IFLY, Overland...even after 14 hours of flight, FS act like it was started after 5 minutes ago.

All I can say is that I have used the bcdedit switch on my Vista 32 bit system for years without problem. And I do video editing on this system, also.The OP has a nice system. It won't help with OOM, but I think his computer would benefit from the low prices on better GPUs. I have run an 8800gt (pretty much the same as your 9800gt) and my current GTX 260. Subtle, but there is improvement. And you can get much more GPU now for much less than I paid for mine.While a 64 bit system may be the best way to go, it is not the only way.
Just a small suggestion...FS....FSX or FS2004, will work just fine even on 7600GT series cards, or ATI X1800...even older one will work just fine with FS. In FS, it's not problem in GPU, CPU is one that counts.With 16GB of memory, and, for example GTX590 the world best graphic card, but with some old dual core processor, you can be happy if you can run FSX on LOW settings with 15fps max.

Well, I can only go by my experience. I haven't had an OOM since installing the switch on my 32 bit system. As you know, OOM has nothing to do with how much ram FS is using.The GPU vs CPU discussion goes on. My laptop has an i3 cpu, but because it has an Intel hd gpu, any FS runs very poorly.Yes, a 7XXXgt card is OK, but an 8400gs is trash can liner no matter what CPU you have. System parts must all be matched and tuned and taken care of.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Any way to keep my FSX on a separate SSD drive instead of having to reinstall 90G. I have my user info and cfg file etc.Kind regards,

Eytan, Sorry about that, I posted on the wrong thread. I am too tired to be handling electrical equipment tonight and in my full idiot zone. Off to bed!Kind regards