Sign in to follow this  
JamesB763

England Scenery

Bonjour, I'm using FS9 along with Visual Flight London & UK2000 LHR X2. I was wondering if there's any (payware or freeware) sceneries that might enhance the whole of England? Cheers,James Andrews

Yup, there is Just Flight's VFR scenery for FS2002/2004, which is more or less the same product as their FSX scenery but at the best resolution FS9 will support (there are four volumes in total): http://www.justfligh...duct.asp?pid=74 Then there is Horizon's VFR scenery as well, which is essentially the same photo data but it looks a little different from JF's stuff because of the processing being done differently, and most people prefer the Horizon stuff (make sure it is the FS2004 stuff you are looking at): http://www.playhoriz...=index&cPath=18 Then you have UK2000's Eight volumes of airport scenery for the UK, which add many regional airports and local landmarks: http://www.uk2000sce...les/Page29.html Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Bonjour, I'm using FS9 along with Visual Flight London & UK2000 LHR X2. I was wondering if there's any (payware or freeware) sceneries that might enhance the whole of England? Cheers,James Andrews
G'Day JamesAl is giving you good advice, as he always does. But I will say that I used to use the VFR photoscenery but I found it pretty unconvincing. What you might want to look at is Ultumate Terrain Europe (UTE) which, though it will not give you a totally accurate landscape, will radically improve it and the rest of Western Europe as well. Add that to Ground Environment Pro (new ground textures) and REX and you will be amazed at how good the UK and everywhere else will look There are some very high quality freeware sceneries available of RAF airfields as well as one ex-RAF field that is now a GA airport. Let me know if you're interested and I can list them.CheersIan

Ian, I'd love to have that list! Thanks for the very helpful advice, you too Alan!Hope you two had a peaceful weekend!Cheers,James Andrews!

Hi JamesThere are two very high quality RAF airfields you want for a start. They are put out by a freeware group that use the name ACG. They are Marham and "Twin Bases." (Bentwaters and Woodbridge)... (They also have an excellent RAF Bruggen in Germany from the Cold War days)...Also look for:Durham Tees Valley Airport 2005EGBP KembleGo to the Just Flight website and you will find two freeware offerings (they may be available elsewhere too)RAF ConingsbyRAF Leuchars You may also find some sceneries done by professionals but released as freeware that are quite good. EGPH Edinburgh by Scotflight and I think Manchester by UK2000. There could be some others in that category.Military AI Works (MAIW) have a good Lakenheath and I think the guy who did Durham Tees also did Linton on Ouse which is excellent. (I have collected these over several years and all of them may not be available anymore but you should find most of them here or at FlightSim.com There are others but those are, in my opinion, the very best freeware airports available for the UK. The Aerosoft Heathrow 2008 is payware but well worth the money. To fill all those airports with AI all you need to do is go to World of AI and MAIW and download to your heart's content! You'll soon have skies crowded with airline and military traffic. (Just be aware that MAIW will install AFCADs for its packages that sometimes conflict with scenery you have installed) Have funIan

Hi James, Just a word of warning, I had all four volumes of VFR scenery and found, despite a reasonable rig for FS9 that the ground textures were just not loading up quickly enough to make it an enjoyable experaince. Admitedly I had a large amount of AI traffic and many add-ons and high quality cloud settings. In the end I ditched VFR scenery and stuck with UT Europe and Ground Enviroment Pro. If you are flying slow/light aircraft you should be ok, anything else be wary. Regards Tristan.

Hi James, Just a word of warning, I had all four volumes of VFR scenery and found, despite a reasonable rig for FS9 that the ground textures were just not loading up quickly enough to make it an enjoyable experaince. Admitedly I had a large amount of AI traffic and many add-ons and high quality cloud settings. In the end I ditched VFR scenery and stuck with UT Europe and Ground Enviroment Pro. If you are flying slow/light aircraft you should be ok, anything else be wary. Regards Tristan.
I agree with Tristan. I had all four volumes and also ditched them. Not only slow loading times but they just were not good quality compared to other photorealistic sceneries I own - some of the colors were absurd.

Yes, alas, both versions of UK Photoscenery have there faults. One set have colour problems and the other set broke the GPS mapping. (UK covered in water ??). Shame really, more care and less haste would have produced a fine product. Ah well, maybe one day ORBX will give it a go !!

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...