Sign in to follow this  

What distance do you turn your APP on ?

Correct but the rnav approach in essence is giving you a turn on, it's not quite the case of setting a heading 090 to the final approach heading and arming loc and expecting the plane to turn on and intercept, yes it's not bad at doing it, but I think there some confusion previously on what meant by a 90 degree turn on as opposed to a 90 degree intercept.
Yep, for 90 degrees insertions I meant catching the glide straight in it but when inserting in the glide I meant coming directly after an abrupt turn of 90 or 180 degrees like the picture I posted above.Even FSC when compiling a flight plan using the correct STAR and Transition it may produce a plan where you are " forced " to arrive into the center of the glide in a perfect straight line but coming in after an abrubt 180 degrees like in the picture. Here comes the " problem " because you have only few seconds to hope that the APP turns on ( after pressing the APP button ) and catches the glide , if it misses it for whatever reason you are out of the game.Then I think to remind the the LOC takes care about lateral navigation only ( something like LNAV ) and the APP takes care about vertical path only ( something like VNAV ) so my question is, why when pressing the APP button the LOC ones shuts off ?This lead me to think that I loose the lateral navigation provided the LOC in favor of the vertical one provided by the APP , please correct me if I am wrong. Why does the LOC key doesn't stay turned on ?Thx

Here a screenshot. When at this stage I pressed the APP button at least 30-40 times to no avail. On the zoomed efis screen I had VOR/LOC in green before chanching into SINLGE CHANNEL in yellow to eventually change back to SINGLE CHANNEL in green and so on I press the APP. As you can see the white diamond is approaching the horizont line but I kept on pressing the APP button 30 times to no avail till the diamond sunk.If I press LOC again anything comes back to normal with the VOR/LOC annunciator green but as soon as I try the APP everthing got messed up.Any suggestion is welcome Thx BTW OEW is the correct ILS and both course are set to 113 and I can hear the morse of the correct ID OEW runway 11 LOWW.78709518k.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.us

One thing I notice on your screenshot, how is your heading managed? I do not see any engagement of either LNAV, HEAD or LOC mode.and your AP shows a yellow warning.PeterOh I misread your comment so you had a working VOR/LOC and when you press APP everything goes. Is that the case?Peter Meinel

Peter

Win10/64/32,0GB, i9-9900KS@4.00GHz, Gigabyte 1080ti, P3Dv5.1

Yes my VOR/LOC always works like a charm and I have a green VOR/LOC annunciation.When I press APP the SINGLE CHANNEL becomes yellow and if I press VOR/LOC again the SINGLE CHANNEL comes back to green and perfectly working.Of course the APP never turns on for me even if I keep on pressing it 30 times until the vertical diamond miserably sinks.-

I'm also having an issue where I cannot capture the glideslope on any ILS approach. I'm failing the correct frequency into NAV1 selecting the right course for the frequency. I then arm VORLOC when on an intercepting heading and I intercept it fine. I then push APP when the Magenta diamond is one dot above the centre dot. Nothing then comes up on the PFD apart from what is already there ie VNAV alt and VOR/LOC. If I then press app again I get a Yellow AP warning light come up. This is since SP1 and I've only tried the 600/700 variants and get the exact same results with both.Should I try a complete reinstall of the NGX?

Gavin Price

It seems I have found a workaround, at least for plans loaded via the co route.When I fly without using the FMC I was able to catch the glide always. When I inputted data manually into the FMS I was able to catch the glide, always.When I load a plan via the co route my APP button never works until I discovered that adding the proper ILS into the FMC manually made the trick.My question is : why flying with no data into the FMC always grant a glide slope capture while using a co route no ? At least for me in SP1.Just load a co route plan ( from FSC 9 is the tool I use ) and then you have to manually select an ILS runway number approach f.i. ILS 26 and voila' the APP button works again.Doing like that of course it may happen you have to clear discontinuities produced by adding an ILS runway approach over an existing plan already made by SID, STAR and Transitions.-

Mark,Are you looking at your FMA or MCP for indications?You want the "single channel" message to start the approach. You want the green light on the MCP APP light to go out, that's how it works when you've captured the approach mode.

Matt Cee