Sign in to follow this  
Goair-18

Brand new tower, wheres best to install fsx!

Guys my new tower has came today, iv yet to install win7 so iv got a completely clean hdd. once win 7 is on the drive is this the best place to install.C:\fsxorC:\programm files\fsxiv read somewhere it helps if you install in a different location!!many thanks Danny.oh is there anything else i can do whilst its all new and fresh to help my preformance in fsx.i7 3.4, 8 gig ram and 1 gig nvida graphics card, not the best specs but better than my E8400 AND 4 GIG RAM

C:FSX -after install, run FSX and then do a defrag.follow this guide -http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.htmlVic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi Goair.In general, keep it out of Program files. If you run XP it's OK in either location. Get a defragger like SmartDefrag, free, and try to get it as close as you can to your center Tracks. It will do it for you if it's one of the files frequently used. If it's a new install, you may want to keep it in a separate Partition from the OS.TV

Get a defragger like SmartDefrag, free, and try to get it as close as you can to your center Tracks.
Sorry, Avcomware - Smart Defrag will only give you a scan for free. If you want it to defrag the drive you will need to pay $35:95.Also the raw data transfer rate when reading the outer tracks/cylinders is much higher than when reading the inner tracks. This is because the outer cylinders contain more data, and since hard disks are filled from the outside in, the fastest data transfer occurs when the drive is first used. It's where the boot table is, also where the swap space is, and this is the place where we need our most-often-used files to be.Good Defrag tools, and very configurable - is O & O Defrag - http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/index.html?r=s $29.00...another - also very configurable - is Ultimate Defrag, from http://www.disktrix.com/

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Paul and everyone.>>Smart Defrag will only give you a scan for free. If you want it to defrag the drive you will need to pay $35:95.<<I've been using SmartDefrag and JKdefrag and they both work well. Smart will do Defrag and Optimization. You can get a GUI for JK.>>Also the raw data transfer rate when reading the outer tracks/cylinders is much higher than when reading the inner tracks<<Yes, you are correct, physically the outer tracks can store more data and have a more reliable reading / spacing. What I was referring to was the Optimization, in SmartDefrag, will bring the most frequently used data / files to the top (inner) of the displayed optimized data. It's a poor choice of words. It will also reorganize the Directories for you. Give it another try and compare it to OO use HDTune to see if you get a similar performance? Or what the difference may be. I am not sure what OO uses but most of the Free defraggers use the Microsoft API. TV