Sign in to follow this  
slait

Sudden dive bomb when landing

I've encountered it a few times since ASE release too. I'm using FS9 though. It happened to me Sunday at 300 ft on final. I was able to recover this one somehow. All the other times it crashed and burned. No aircraft around to cause wake turbulence. I thought it might have been wind shear. The way the aircraft behaved all the times, it was like the wing hit something. I recall it seemed the aircraft always dropped on the left side. It's happened with different aircraft at different airports. I thought maybe a scenery issue so I set up on final and flew the approach again and it was fine.

Just a quick question, is it being considered that wake lasts a few minutes after it was "placed" there by an aircraft, and that this wake drifts, and sinks over time?Since most reports of this indicate that there are no aircraft at all nearby, I am assuming all AI aircraft traffic is being turned off? Because with any AI there is usually at least ONE aircraft nearby!What I am trying to establish is if there is possibility of misunderstanding about wake trails and their lifespan which could explain the behavior, because wake is rarely caused by an airplane that's directly in front of you within spitting distance. It's usually from an airplane that transited the air slightly above you (since wake sinks) i.e. 1 or 2 minutes prior to you.The effect everyone is describing does sound like wake, it is a rolling and buffeting effect (can roll left or right, or both). And wake encounters are always indicated in the log and status message screen. I think its confirmed we ARE experiencing wake here, with the real question being why? And that is where I am hoping to gain some information to see if there is a problem here. If there is a problem, ideas as to why include performance issues with simconnect/fsuipc (as depending on your sim, that's what is reporting ai aircraft positions), possible AI output modification/tweak per fsuipc options or other add-ons, etc. Given the very high incident rate of misunderstandings which appear as bugs, I want to make sure we cover that possibility entirely. I also want to reiterate that if there is a problem we will do everything we can to fix it.Can someone confirm they are experiencing wake as described in my suggested testing?

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I don't think that there is any doubt it is a result of wake effects as the problem disappears completely when that is disabled in the options. I too have not noticed any aircraft that stood out to me as being the source of the wake, but as you've stated it could be residual effects from aircraft that have already landed, or aircraft from crossing runways. My issue is a lot more to do with the extreme effects it has on the aircraft. Bobbing, weaving, sweeping side to side would probably fine, and even kind of cool to add to the immersion factor, but that's not what I'm seeing here at all. The aircraft veers to one side and dives like a kamikaze pilot in an airshow. It's extremely dramatic, and often completely unrecoverable. In real life nothing short of a mid air collision could result in the kind of dive bomb this effect creates.Unfortunately with the holiday season I have not had time to set up repeatable test cases, but will try to once we've past Christmas. Thank you for the responses so far.

- Aaron

Hi Aaron,Have you tried lowering the intensity of wake effect in the options? If you have success with that, can you share what setting you end up liking best? Thanks!

Damian Clark

Hi Damian, they were night cargo flights with nothing in a 30 mile radius in TCAS and visual. I have wake turbulence set at 10%. What I'm getting when it has gone out of control was similar to US Air flight 427 around 300 agl on short final. It acted more like uncommanded rudder movements or as if the aircraft hit something.

Hi Jeff,Ok, at 10% obviously that is not a proper effect, regardless if there was an airplane around or not. Have you attempted to experience wake in a controlled environment? Are those wake events "more proper"?Also, just curious, is anyone slewing or running a replay over their previous flight path when this happens? If anyone who is having similar troubles could please contact our support department (we haven't had any contact yet) we would love to be able to troubleshoot this and find a resolution. Logs would really help. Thank you!

Damian Clark