Sign in to follow this  
Aerodynamic

Couple Questions About X-Plane 10

1) Does X-Plane 10 still have cloud shadows? I have not seen any screen shots of a sunny day with cloud shadows over the terrain. That was a nifty visual effect in X-Plane 9. I'm hoping it still exists in 10.2) What aircraft are included in the demo and what will be included in the official release? I remember reading about a Dornier aircraft and a really nice MD-80 series aircraft that were allegedly going to be included with the release. I have not seen any of those in demo videos/screen shots.Thanks for any info.

1) Does X-Plane 10 still have cloud shadows? I have not seen any screen shots of a sunny day with cloud shadows over the terrain. That was a nifty visual effect in X-Plane 9. I'm hoping it still exists in 10.2) What aircraft are included in the demo and what will be included in the official release? I remember reading about a Dornier aircraft and a really nice MD-80 series aircraft that were allegedly going to be included with the release. I have not seen any of those in demo videos/screen shots.Thanks for any info.
1. Yes2. All aircraft in the demo of x plane will be included in the full version. The full version is just all the scenery and the unlock of the 10 minute time limit.

Thanks, Goran. I have not tried the demo yet. Are the Dornier and MD-80 included?
Not that I can see. I had a look through the folders and can't see them.

I wonder why they are not there? They were planned to be included in version 10, according to many flight sim sources on the web. I was really looking forward to both of those. So the only extra aircraft is the Baron and some updates to the ones that were in V9?Gotta say, that is a big disappointment. My gripe with X-Plane 9 was that the included default aircraft were extremely lackluster. At $80, I was hoping for much more than a plausible world in X-Plane 10. Looks like the same primitive planes all over again. The Baron's gear doors don't even close properly. Doh.gifMay have to pass on 10 after all. It's one thing to have a nice flight environment and a good weather system, which I feel MSFS never really did right. But if you don't have any convincing aircraft with nice bells and whistles and an accurate visual representation, it kind of deflates the other benefits X-Plane 10 appears to be bringing to the table.To be fair, I should note that Microsoft didn't really knock our socks off with their default aicraft, either. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. Not trying to dampen the spirits on this forum.Thanks.

I wonder why they are not there? They were planned to be included in version 10, according to many flight sim sources on the web. I was really looking forward to both of those. So the only extra aircraft is the Baron and some updates to the ones that were in V9?Gotta say, that is a big disappointment. My gripe with X-Plane 9 was that the included default aircraft were extremely lackluster. At $80, I was hoping for much more than a plausible world in X-Plane 10. Looks like the same primitive planes all over again. The Baron's gear doors don't even close properly. Doh.gifMay have to pass on 10 after all. It's one thing to have a nice flight environment and a good weather system, which I feel MSFS never really did right. But if you don't have any convincing aircraft with nice bells and whistles and an accurate visual representation, it kind of deflates the other benefits X-Plane 10 appears to be bringing to the table.To be fair, I should note that Microsoft didn't really knock our socks off with their default aicraft, either. I hope you understand where I'm coming from. Not trying to dampen the spirits on this forum.Thanks.
I think the MD 80 you are refering to is the XPFW version. But don't take my word for it. I'm just guessing. TBH, I never heard of a Dornier for x plane 10. I can say the default planes have had a HUGE overhaul. Some remodelled by professional, 3rd party developers to look much better than their V9 counterparts.However, if your decision is to pass on XP10, then that is your decision.Maybe some time in the future.Cheers

I think the MD 80 you are refering to is the XPFW version. But don't take my word for it. I'm just guessing. TBH, I never heard of a Dornier for x plane 10.
I'll look up the XPFW MD-80. Maybe it is that one. Here is a video I found that shows both aircraft. Start at the 1:27 mark.

The MD80 and Dornier were instigated by Sergio Santagada. I was involved in helping him develop the MD80. Sergio was not able to continue work on those aircraft for reasons far more important than any flight simulator. It was just a case of life taking precedence. It is our desire to continue those if we can.

The MD80 and Dornier were instigated by Sergio Santagada. I was involved in helping him develop the MD80. Sergio was not able to continue work on those aircraft for reasons far more important than any flight simulator. It was just a case of life taking precedence. It is our desire to continue those if we can.
Thanks for that information! I certainly agree that some things are more important in life. Hope Sergio is well and that you and other developers continue the quest to bring detailed aircraft to X-Plane.

XP-10 Looks GREAT!The following isn't criticism, just two very minor questions.- The one thing I disliked about the heavy aircraft in FS9 and X was the landing gear during touch-down. Rather than settling it's weight softly on the gear, they all seemed to be landing on rigid struts, no give, no compression. Do the aircraft in X-Plane model gear compression or is it possible to model this via the a/c builder? This would give heavy a/c in XP-10 the impression, when touching down, truly are "heavy".- The wing condensation in XP should be more streamlined over and from the trailing edge of the wing Vs puffy, bubbling spheres. Is this something that might be changeable in the future?Just curious Worried.gifSticks

In x-plane the gear struts do compress as you land - this is also in X9 and X10.After landing - go to playback, and use free camera and station yourself near the landing zoning (or use chase view and follow your aircraft in on landing) - replay and watch the struts - make a hard landing to really see the effects.On the second - no idea what Austin has in store for X10 improvements.