Sign in to follow this  
brucek

new PC case, now no POST

I have a new PC case and have just migrated everything from my old case to the new one- there have been no hardware changes at all and everything is plugged into the mobo exactly as it was before (including front panel USB's, HDD's and CDROM. The only change is that there is no 4-wire case speaker wire on my new case, so this is the only thing that is not connected that as in the old case.Obviously I can't hear any speaker beeps, but I am getting nothing at all out of the video that indicates that the system has even begun the POST sequence. Is this an issue by not having the 4-wire case speaker attached to the mobo- does the system need that to get to POST? (Previously that is the first thing I would hear, the speaker beep, before anything else such as the splash screen on the video).Or any other ideas? I have re-seated all the cables in the new case onto the mobo and PSU. I should mention that I can hear the HDD's engaging (a "click" from them both), and all fans appear to be running. But no HDD activity beyond the first "click". and no video at all.Mobo is a ASUS P6X58D-E.Thanks for any ideas or help. And I hope that everyone is having a very Merry Christmas!Thanks, Bruce.

Did you reseat your CPU? if so, did you apply enough thermal paste to cover the cpu?Did you install the RAM correctly?Try unplugging the HDDs and booting up. You maybe able to get into bios and reset default settings.Is there a switch on the back of the PSU?if so,Ensure switch is off. Hold down the main power button, flip the psu switch on.KEEP HOLDING DOWN THE ON BUTTONAt the moment the system comes 'alive' (So to speak considering your machine sounds dead), Turn off the psu switch.continue to hold down the power button for a 60 seconds or so to remove any residule power that may lurk.Turn the machine back on, see what it does.If that fails, you could unplug your power cable, remove the battery from the mobo and then hold down the on button for 60ish seconds to remove any residule power. Leave the battery out for a while 10-15 minutes.PLug the battery back in, connect the power cable and switch back on.

Jack Cannon

Thanks Jack,I left the CPU on the motherboard (and the RAM), and have so far reseated the RAM. I have also migrated the entire system back into my ld case (the one with the case speaker 4-wire connector), but it makes no difference.I will try the other things you have suggested, thanks for the ideas.I have never had a system that has been this dead before. If trying what you recommend doesn't work I might invest in a new mobo/cpu/memory.Thanks again, Bruce.

There are a few different things that might have happened. Did you plug the motherboard speaker back in on the old case? If you didn't, do that. Listen to the pattern of beeps and then use whatever literature you have for your motherboard to identify what the problem could be.In the mean time, re-seat the video card. Double check all cables to the motherboard. Reset CMOS via the jumper.Finally, it could be possible you damaged the motherboard by static shock or knocking loose a capacitor.Obviously we're just taking you through the troubleshooting steps. Be diligent and keep trying.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Thanks Zach and torkermax,I do get the power light but no HDD light, even when I can hear the HDD's engaging on power-on. (the HDD's never get beyond the first activity when power is first applied).I have re-seated the VC (yes, that did come out), and all power connections.I think I will go for a new board and Sandy Bridge CPU. One question- the memory I currently have (3 X 2GB, I know I only need 2X memory sticks for the Sandy Bridge) that went with my existing board (P6X58, i920), will it work OK with the Sandy Bridge motherboard/CPU's? I'm wondering about the memory voltage? Some more research....Thanks, your help is much appreciated. Bruce.

I love the excuse of' I dunno whats up with it, Best spend a grand on a new machine'I use it every 2 years.

Jack Cannon

If anyone's still up on this thread:I have ordered a new mobo (P8P67 Pro) and CPU (yes Jack- it's great how we "justify" spending lots on FSX :) ).I've done this partly because it's time to upgrade anyway from my older system, and the fact that I couldn't get the old mobo to POST at all. This brings up an interesting question- this new case lacks a speaker, which in itself is not an issue here. But since I now can't hear the beeps in the POST process, how would I know if my GPU is the issue here? I just realized that this may have the same symptom as I am experiencing- there is a beep sequence for "no VGA" but I can't hear it... and with no VGA there's no screen to look at.... is there some other way besides the beeps to know that the GPU is bad (other than trying another GPU, obviously)?Thanks, Bruce.

If anyone's still up on this thread:I have ordered a new mobo (P8P67 Pro) and CPU (yes Jack- it's great how we "justify" spending lots on FSX :) ).I've done this partly because it's time to upgrade anyway from my older system, and the fact that I couldn't get the old mobo to POST at all. This brings up an interesting question- this new case lacks a speaker, which in itself is not an issue here. But since I now can't hear the beeps in the POST process, how would I know if my GPU is the issue here? I just realized that this may have the same symptom as I am experiencing- there is a beep sequence for "no VGA" but I can't hear it... and with no VGA there's no screen to look at.... is there some other way besides the beeps to know that the GPU is bad (other than trying another GPU, obviously)?Thanks, Bruce.
Bruce, just don't feel remorsful. The new system will reward your splurge.As for identifying the VGA issue, with the new SB system, you'll have a GPU on the same die as the CPU. Just plug your monitor into the motherboard's VGA connector if the system doesn't post using the discrete graphics card.Back to the OP. Your board may have been zapped by static which is the bane of any computer component. My girlfriend bought me this kit for my birthday, which includes a bracelet that I attach to the PC case to keep myself from building up charge. At first it felt goofy, but I haven't experienced any of those terrifying shocks when touching a component. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16899888202 (Plus, there's some great useful tools in that kit and it's cheap) Kit aside, please ground yourself to the case before handling components!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

I know this may sound like a really stupid question, but you did install motherboard stand-off pegs into the new case before putting the motherboard in didn't you? My brother made that mistake a couple of years ago when he couldn't wait for me to come around to his house and build it for him. He rang me up and said "it wont switch on, what's up!!", I went round and looked in the case and screamed "oh my god!!!! you haven't used any motherboard stand-off pegs", he's like ##### is a motherboard stand-off peg, I said "see that bag with thousands of brass thingamabobs, them" :Doh: . Fortunately he hadn't fried it, the PSU must have been half decent and tripped the moment he plugged the power in.

Cheers, Andy.

I know this may sound like a really stupid question, but you did install motherboard stand-off pegs into the new case before putting the motherboard in didn't you? My brother made that mistake a couple of years ago when he couldn't wait for me to come around to his house and build it for him. He rang me up and said "it wont switch on, what's up!!", I went round and looked in the case and screamed "oh my god!!!! you haven't used any motherboard stand-off pegs", he's like ##### is a motherboard stand-off peg, I said "see that bag with thousands of brass thingamabobs, them" :Doh: . Fortunately he hadn't fried it, the PSU must have been half decent and tripped the moment he plugged the power in.
Not using stand off pegs will simply cause the system not to start up. No harm, no foul. Just a pain to remove and reinstall.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Thanks torkermax, Zach and Andy,Thanks Andy- yes, there were some missing stand-offs mounted in the case but I installed these and made sure they matched to the holes in the mobo before installing it- and a long time before applying power- but thanks for the idea.Thanks torkermax- I hadn't thought of robbing the speaker out of the old unit- will certainly do that... too obvious I guess ... :)Thanks , Zach. I’ve downloaded the manual for my Asus P8P67 Pro (rev 3.0) new mobo, and as far as I can see the VGA option is not supported on the board. I may be wrong of course. I’m wondering, in the absence of a case speaker, how I would know that it’s the GPU and not the mobo/RAM/CPU combination. Is there usually a LED or something that indicates that VGE is or is not working on POST? I can’t see one in the manual- some other potential issues have LED’s that indicate the fault. But not the VGA. Maybe the assumption is that the speaker beep tells you that??What I might do is rob the speaker out of the old unit as suggested here.... at least I'll know if I need to lay more mulla down for a GPU!.....Thanks guys- your help is much appreciated.Bruce.

Thanks , Zach. I’ve downloaded the manual for my Asus P8P67 Pro (rev 3.0) new mobo, and as far as I can see the VGA option is not supported on the board. I may be wrong of course. I’m wondering, in the absence of a case speaker, how I would know that it’s the GPU and not the mobo/RAM/CPU combination. Is there usually a LED or something that indicates that VGE is or is not working on POST? I can’t see one in the manual- some other potential issues have LED’s that indicate the fault. But not the VGA. Maybe the assumption is that the speaker beep tells you that??
The '67 Pro has LED lights that show faulting hardware. Typically it's very accurate. If you get a failed post, you'll know right away it's either the RAM or GPU. With this new board, you'll get a red fault LED beside the culprit component. My bet is you zapped the motherboard. If not, I've got a GTX 460 I'll send you at a bargain, if you're interested.BTW, I forgot you had ordered a P67 and not a Z68. Sorry! That's correct, the '67s do not support the onboard video of SB.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Thanks Zach- And I just looked at the mobo manual again and yes, there is a VGA LED (also DRAM, CPU and BOOT_DEVICE LED's on this board)- so at least I should be able to figure out what is going on.If this proves to be the GPU (which is also a GTX 460, BTW!), I might take you up on your offer. Parts are ordered but not yet shipped- hopefully will ship later today (2 bus day shipping).Thanks again! Bruce.