Sign in to follow this  
Tom Wright

X-Plane 10 FPS / Performance

TedI'd bump the Lateral FOV to about 70. You get a better view of the panel that way.
In the excitment of actually getting the thing loaded and flying it for the first time I totally forgot to match my field of view to what I use in XP9.I didn't spend much time in the cockpit of the 747...although it looked pretty good....more time was spent in the 172 just bumbling around until the stick locked and even a couple runs about in that silly ole Cirrus jet hence not overly noticing the cramped FOV.Thanks for the reminder.Wheres that DH-6??? dirol.gifNow back to the threads regular schedule of discussion.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

I found bringing objects from none to 'a lot' halved my frame rates from 60fps (with nothing) to 30fps. I'm not sure if this is normal, but it's clear that 3D objects in XP10 are very heavy, far worse than FSX.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

objects alone are not, they actually are very friendly on fps. two things to consider:1. they hit stronger the more other seetings you crank up: Like e.g. Global shadows. Now the sys not only has to do them for your trees and few buildings, but for a whole lot more than that.2. memory: the more to display, the more memory will be used.What you need to do is to find a balanced setting that suits your needs. Sticking to my example: I have the highest setting for objects, but do not use HDR and no Global Shadows.

as stated in bens blog, fps depend on gpu fillrate, gpu bandwidth and cpu speed...objects depend on fillrate, with my gtx570 this does not take a huge fps hit at all.check your gpu numbers...

I found bringing objects from none to 'a lot' halved my frame rates from 60fps (with nothing) to 30fps. I'm not sure if this is normal, but it's clear that 3D objects in XP10 are very heavy, far worse than FSX.
I have been advised to reduce the "world detail distance" if you wish to crank up objects. I have not tried this as I prefer seeing a long way as opposed to "tons" of objects on the ground.Gotta respect what your PC may or may not be capable of too.Side note....defrag your drive after installing the demo or main.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

I was also advised to not use real weather after filing a bug report about the clouds when at high altitudes.

I would avoid real time weather as it is a resource hog for most systems and changes too slowly for much effect.
I just did a test with RC2, using real weather (wanted to see what would happen) and the weather was rain / freezing rain, visibility very low, heavy cloud coverage. Taxiing to the runway in the CRJ-200 I was getting between 60-70 fps (see rendering options below, also no ai). That remained through climb until the moment I broke through the clouds and the fps dropped to 7 fps. Yes, in less than a second they went from 60'ish to 7'ish (I thought the sim had locked up, everything stopped moving if you know what I mean). Tried dropping the anti-aliasing down to 2x from 16x and the fps went to 10. I then dropped the cloud setting to 10 from 36, and the frames jumped to low 20's, but then the cloud coverage was way too thin for what the metar was showing. It still needs a lot of work.Glenedit: I'm going to play with the weather system some to see if I can get it to simulate the real world weather, ie. have one weather system at departure and a different system at arrival, that's accurate to the real weather. I've always flown with real weather (don't see the point of not using real weather) but if it's causing issues..... Edited by Muskoka

Gigabyte z590 UD - i5 11600k 4.9 GHz - 64gb 3600 MHz ram - RTX 3070 ti - multiple ssd - 34" 3440x1440 100 Hz Curved - Saitek Yoke Pedals Throttle Quadrant x2 - TM T16000m x2 Throttle - Win 11 Pro

I've got an EVGA Superclocked GTX 560Ti. It's got pretty high clocks: 900MHz Core Clock, 2106MHz Memory Clock (1Gb DDR5), 1800MHz Shader clock. Ok, it's not a 580, but i'm quite surprised at how low my settings in XPX have to be to get a decent frame rate, given it happily runs FSX maxed.

Tom Wright

Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) | Intel Core i7 4770k @ 4.3GHz | 16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM | GTX 1060 6GB | Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Sidestick + Quadrant | Xbox Series S

I have been advised to reduce the "world detail distance" if you wish to crank up objects. I have not tried this as I prefer seeing a long way as opposed to "tons" of objects on the ground.Gotta respect what your PC may or may not be capable of too.
I have objects on 'insane' with fully loaded OSM2XP scenery, tons of buildings in every german city. It runs nicely as long as "world detail distance" is medium, for me it looks perfect that way... Edited by urthgental

Well that was odd.. anyone able to explain why going from FXAA to the highest quad render HDR AA settings gave me an extra 10FPS? lol

Tom Wright

Give it a go! The instant I selected it the frame rate dropped suddenly, but after a few seconds they picked right back up to 30FPS!

Tom Wright

I like the way the environment appears with HDR turned on and all of the boxes checked in that section. And as I stated in an earlier post am able to get 27 + fps with it turned on. I also set my field of view between 70 and 75 degrees. That is just below the fish bowl effect and above flying with total side blinders. I do wonder what sort of computing power it would take to create a really close to real environment with lots of AI planes flying around and environment turned up to max in every respect. I can tell you from experience if you fly anywhere near a decent sized city there is a LOT of traffic to watch out for. Now I fly around in deserted skies because my CPU can't keep up with me and AI traffic.

No, haven't heard of Morton's AI planes. I'll check it out. Just updated to the newest revision and took a flight. Turned global shadows all the way up without a significant hit. But had clouds set at 22. Now that is way too high. I had to drop clouds to around 10 or below if there are any clouds nearby. Clouds look a lot better but have been cranked over for too big a CPU hit this time around. With no clouds I can crank everything up to max except HDR rendering (I have to keep this at FXAA) and my frame rates in clear weather range fro 40 - 60. Very smooth. Getting better all the time!