Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

Transition Altitude missbehaviour?

Hey guys,upon finishing the FMS for an short flight inside Europe in the Nederlabd I got a little problem with the altitude displayed in the FMS LEGS page. I wanted to use the correct real Transition altitude for the Nederlands, which is 3000ft. This did I put in the PERF page and everything was correctly displayed in the legs. But it was only correct for the climb and cruise waypoints. The decend and approach waypoints had the deafult transition level and their predicted overflying altitude wasn´t displayed as FL.Did I miss ther something or is that normal or an bug?Btw. before you ask, the destination was also in the Nederlands, so the same transition level.

You have to set transition level on the Descent Forecast page as well.Oliver BranaschkySent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All right, I've just overlooked it. Thanks. :(

Just to add to this, if I set the ta at 6000ft, for departure and the Sid as a level restriction of 6000ft, is it right that it shows this as fl060? Surely it should still be 6000ft?

James - no, flight levels start at or above the altitude as far as I've always seen. In the US you hear "flight level one eight zero", not "one eight thousand" for instance...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan, well that isn't the case here, the TL varies, with a transition layer in between. The TA in the uk is set to become a standard altitude across the uk in the near future, however for many of the large airports it's 6000ft TA with the TL being determined based on pressure. So a SID out of UK airports often as a stop altitude of 6000ft, and its to the altitude of 6000ft you would climb regardless of pressure. You would only set standard pressure and climb to a flight level once cleared above 6000ft, and during low pressure Fl070 wouldn't be used as it wouldn't be separated from 6000ft. It may be how it is, and doesn't prevent you still climbing to 6000ft as per the SID local pressure, I just always find it strange it showing the restriction as a FL rather than the correct Altitude. That said I think people don't realise also that in setting the TL in the descent forecast page, they wouldn't set FL060 for an airport that as a TA of 6000ft either as the TL would be maybe Fl070 if pressure 1013 or above. (used to be 1014)Ryan, well that isn't the case here, the TL varies, with a transition layer in between. The TA in the uk is set to become a standard altitude across the uk in the near future, however for many of the large airports it's 6000ft TA with the TL being determined based on pressure. So a SID out of UK airports often as a stop altitude of 6000ft, and its to the altitude of 6000ft you would climb regardless of pressure. You would only set standard pressure and climb to a flight level once cleared above 6000ft, and during low pressure Fl070 wouldn't be used as it wouldn't be separated from 6000ft. It may be how it is, and doesn't prevent you still climbing to 6000ft as per the SID local pressure, I just always find it strange it showing the restriction as a FL rather than the correct Altitude. That said I think people don't realise also that in setting the TL in the descent forecast page, they wouldn't set FL060 for an airport that as a TA of 6000ft either as the TL would be maybe Fl070 if pressure 1013 or above. (used to be 1014)