Sign in to follow this  
Paul12

MSA Question

Can anybody help me to understand the MSA KLO ( see attached screen shot ) symbol. The way I see it ( but I am probably totally wrong ) is that when one flies towards KLO on a heading between 265 degrees to 041 degrees an altitude of at least 8600 feet has to be maintained to avoid hitting the ground. And here is my "not understanding" : how then can anyone land on say rwy 34 ( which is between 265 and 041 degrees ) since when landing one must descend below that MSA of 8600 feet ? There is something I do not understand. Can anybody help and explain ? Please look at the included screen shot. Thank you Hubert Werni

Herbert Werni

MSA is depicted to give you a safe altitude if off a published route segment or not on radar vectors.So you can descend below msa if being vectored or established on a segment of the approach.JBSent from my iPhone using TapatalkJB

Edited by Buzz313th

Can anybody help and explain ? Please look at the included screen shot. Thank you Hubert Werni
MSA simply means Minimun Sector Altitude. It is the altitude that provides 1000 feet obstacle clearance, within 25 nm of the station, in this case, KLO.As you say, when you are on indbound on a track between 041 and 265 to KLO you can fly at 8600 feet and be guaranteed to be at least 1000 feet above the highest terrain or obstacle, provided you are within 25 nm of KLO :) Edited by Anders_Weber

I'd also add that the MSA does not guarantee navaid reception. If you're being vectored, ATC will regularly take you below the MSA. Not a big deal, but I'm extra vigilant when that hapens at night, or in IMC etc.Perhaps the most practical use of the MSA is if you experience a loss of your nav instruments while on approach, or you have reason to doubt your instrruments (ANZ 767)- you would climb to the MSA to get some quick peace of mind.The other thing to note is that the MSA is USUALLY based on a navaid on the approach, but it's not uncommon to see the MSA based on a navaid 10nm or so away.Paul