Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ben Cap

PCIex8 vs PCIex16

Hey everyone,I was wondering if there was anyway to force my graphics card to run in X8 mode. I have one GTS450.(Specs in sig)Can this be done through the BIOS?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You can populate the second PCIe 16x in your board and both will run at 8xOr you can tape the 16x connectors (50 to 82):http://pinouts.ru/Slots/pci_express_pinout.shtml

I just took a look at the BIOS yesterday evening. Indeed it's not possible through BIOS.

I just took a look at the BIOS yesterday evening. Indeed it's not possible through BIOS.
Alright, I'll have to buy some cheap addon card to slap into my other slot. I'll have the benchmark results soon.Thanks for the help everyone.

Alright, I'll have to buy some cheap addon card to slap into my other slot. I'll have the benchmark results soon.Thanks for the help everyone.
I'm not sure if I should add a 2nd GTX 580 to my system. My i7 2600k CPU only supports up to 16 PCI-E lanes and If I add a 2nd PCI-E video card then each video card will be running at 8x in my system instead of 16x. I would be running FSX in single GPU mode as FSX does not make use of SLI and my video card is not the bottleneck in FSX anyways, my CPU is. I'd use SLI for other games. If the performance hit is more than 2% in FSX or there is increased stuttering when dropping down to 8x, then I won't add a 2nd card as FSX is the most important game in my PC. Can you test out the performance between the PCI-E running at 8x and 16x with extremely dense autogen and extreme dense scenery?