Sign in to follow this  
stretch1365

Windows7, 64bit and where to install FSX

Each system is different. Windows7 treats the Program Files (x86) folder differently than other folders. This is WITH or WITHOUT UAC enabled. Enough people have had issues that from what I've read the consensus among users and some of the "gurus", including NickN is that FSX is best installed OUTSIDE of the default location. There are also MANY users who have it installed in the default and have never had an issue. My thinking - if you are having problems, that would be one of the first things I would eliminate. If everything is working I certainly would not recommend reinstalling FSX to a different location BUT if you are having issues, this might be a good time to do so. IMHO it's an accident waiting to happen - if it doesn't you are lucky and no harm done.

There are those who say that if MS had wanted it installed outside of the (x86) folder they would have done so - I may remind them that in 2006, the Windows 7 interface was not available at that time.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest firehawk44

Now FSX on D root? when UAC off do I need right click > use as admin?

Many suggest anywhere but the default location (x86). I have my UAC turned off and FSX located in the default location and have absolutely no problems. Many others do too. It really does not make any difference where it is located IMHO. If UAC is off, you don't need to run FSX as an Administrator. Here's a guide on what UAC/Administrator does - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc709691(WS.10).aspx. It is important to make sure you have all the required Microsoft Visuals C++ Redistributables installed. For FSX, you'll need 2005, 2008, and 2010. These are used by developers to make sure your software or addon is installed properly. The software will normally look to see if the proper MSV is installed and, if not, install it before installing the software. I would recommend you turn off any anti-virus program before installing as some prevent proper entries into the System Registry and this could cause problems with your software or addon. I hope you have a chance to read the excellent guide for software and hardware here on AVSIM in the Hardware forum. It was written by Srjan Word Not Allowed and is pinned at the top of the Hardware forum. That will provide you with even more valuable information. Good luck!

Best regards,

Jim

I just reinstalled FSX and everything else on Drive E: with no problems.

In fact I never had FSX in a default directory from the start.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png