Sign in to follow this  
stretch1365

Windows7, 64bit and where to install FSX

Hi all,I had FSX running on my Windows7 32bit system for about 18 mths to 2 years with no problems at all. As you can see from my signature I have quite a few aircraft mostly carrenado and PMDG all working fine along with FEX, UTE, and GTE. So when PMDG brought out the 737 I waited a few months before deciding to buy the said add-on. The 737 worked ok but I decided it was time to upgrade to Windows7 64bit and really get the most out of my 737. That's when things started going wrong!So far I have installed FSX in C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator and also in C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Flight Simulator. I have FSX deluxe and have SP1 and SP2 installed correctly but when I try and install FEX I get error messages about missing files in FSX. Today I installed GEX and then FSX just crashed every time when loading with "FSX has encountered an error and will close down"So as a last bid effort I wonder if FSX where to be installed in "C:\program Files" or indeed directly on the "C" drive instead in "C:\Program Files(x86)" would that mean that FSX would be running in Windows 32bit or Windows 64bit?Where is the best location to install FSX for it to work in Windows7, 64bit?Regards Dave.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Guest firehawk44
Where is the best location to install FSX for it to work in Windows7, 64bit?
I have had my installation in my 64 bit Windows 7 system in the default location without any problems. I disabled UAC and do not run an anti-virus program so maybe that's why I have been successful. But most people here say you should install it somewhere else on your system, like on another HD. In that case you would just direct the installation to the appropriate drive you want to have it installed on and not accept the default location when the DVD install program asks. FSX is a 32 bit program and that's why it was installed in C:Program Files(x86). All 32 bit programs go there. On another HD or simply on C:, FSX would run as a 32 bit program on a 64 bit system. A 64 bit system manages memory better and is the best for FSX.Whenever you get a crash with the "FSX has encountered an error and will close down" message, you need to check your Event Viewer and look for the date and time of the crash. It will give you an idea as to what caused the crash. Make sure you disable UAC if you run FSX in the default installation folder.Best regards,Jim

I use FS9 and it is installed in c:Flight Simulator 9. I put nothing in that Program Files(x86) folder. Any add ons installed go under c: program name. Too many people have problems. But as the above poster says he doesn't. I am not willing to take a chance.JimCYWG

Guest firehawk44

Some programs, like Ultimate Terrain, require default installations. If you turn off UAC, you'll be okay with a default install.Best regards,Jim

Do not install it to the default Location , Install it to the Root of your drive (C:) if you do not have any other drives or partitions , Turn off the UAC , Turn of Automatic UpdatesWith regard 32bit applications needing to be installed to the Program Files(x86) not true , They can be installed anywhere , I have and FSX drive installed on my PC at home (D:) I have everything thats associated with FSX installed on that drive including FSX itself . I have no errors and the OS & FSX run happily along side each otherAny Q's , Ask awayCheersPaul

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X; ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 OC Edition,; Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 64GBSamsung Odyssey G70B 32inch 144Hz 4K UHD IPS Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160
Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; Tobii 5 Eye Tracker,  Trustmaster Boeing Yoke & Quadrant 

Paul Nicholls

Trying to figure out what you're trying to say with your link.... Jim
Sorry, wrong link. I had one explaining the importance of installing FSX in a default directory instead of using the deault when using Windows 7. Can't seem to find it. Something about Windows 7 protecting the programs directory...?

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Guest firehawk44
Sorry, wrong link. I had one explaining the importance of installing FSX in a default directory instead of using the deault when using Windows 7. Can't seem to find it. Something about Windows 7 protecting the programs directory...?
Yes, cool. The link you provided is still excellent as it's from NickN. There are quite a few posts advising not to install in the default directory because of the Windows protection in Program Files (x86). Many people are putting FSX in a separate folder from the default and some, like me, are staying with the default installation as we are encountering absolutely no problems as we have disabled UAC. I mentioned earlier that UTX, for instance, requires a default installation to work properly but see now they have a way for you to show exactly where FSX is located through their settings utility. This is done after UTX is installed though. Hopefully the OP has it figured out by now.Best regards,Jim

Yes, cool. The link you provided is still excellent as it's from NickN. There are quite a few posts advising not to install in the default directory because of the Windows protection in Program Files (x86). Many people are putting FSX in a separate folder from the default and some, like me, are staying with the default installation as we are encountering absolutely no problems as we have disabled UAC. I mentioned earlier that UTX, for instance, requires a default installation to work properly but see now they have a way for you to show exactly where FSX is located through their settings utility. This is done after UTX is installed though. Hopefully the OP has it figured out by now.Best regards,Jim
Strange with UTX though. My download of UTX is at least three years old and I've never had problems installing it allthough I run FSX from a separate drive.

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

I have bought FSX Deluxe and the Accelerator Expansion pack.

My Laptop has 4GB RAM, runs WIN 7 64Bit.

All my games run on the External Hard drive of 2 Terabytes using SATA and there are no problems with any of the games.

I now find FSX refusing to install ???

My DVD driver seems to not want to read the FSX disk to autorun and install, yet I can open the DVD disk and see all the folders and files?

So I borrowed another laptop also running WIN 7 64Bit. I installed FSX plus and the X-pack to the external HD without any problems and FSX ACTIVATION over the internet ran 100% without a problem. I added the X-pack and everything went well. On this borrowed Laptop the game could not run all that well as it does not have the same RAM or Graphics as my "GAMING LAPTOP" (a Toshiba Satellite) so I just switched the External HD back to the Toshiba.

FSX starts and runs without any issues, BUT only for 30 minutes and then it tell me to ACTIVATE ???

OK, so common sense tells me that this rather irritating MS Activation (especially after one has BOUGHT the software legally and all above board), is recorded on the INSTALLATION LAPTOP registry etc.

Having read through tons of forums and googled pages of FSX – WIN7 64Bit issues, I am still not anywhere near the answers I need to get FSX running properly.

1. Just seeing the reports and solutions with regards to the DVD not wanting to install FSX, I am going to try Safe Mode install, removing any DVD Burn software, etc. Question is, when in SAFE MODE, will the system SEE my external HD?
  2. With FSX + Xpack installed on my X-HD, is there a better way to RE_ACTIVATE FSX without all the uninstall, reinstall?

I am sure this has been addressed in some or other Forum already but how many more do I have to go through to find the answers?

MS has a brilliant application (I can’t call it a GAME) in FSX, yet why do they have to make it so un-user friendly for peeps that have spent the money for original software. It really saddens me.

Any assistance or references would be appreciated

Guest firehawk44

OK, so common sense tells me that this rather irritating MS Activation (especially after one has BOUGHT the software legally and all above board), is recorded on the INSTALLATION LAPTOP registry etc.

It also reads hardware installed. If FSX is not properly activated on the computer with the OS running your system, it will ask you to activate every 30 minutes. You can run the free Registry Repair tool from Flight1 - http://www.flight1.com/view.asp?page=library then run the activation program and get FSX and Acceleration properly registered on your laptop. This way you won't have to uninstall everything and start over. It is strange though that your laptop would not read the autorun or setup.exe to install FSX. Perhaps a problem with the DVD drive. It can't be a dirty disk as you were successful on a borrowed laptop. I have never seen this problem where FSX refuses to install for the first time on a new system. I have seen people having problems when they uninstall FSX and then try to reinstall it and the DVD drive will not recognize the FSX disk or an error code will pop up stating FSX cannot be installed. Hope this works.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi JIm :)

thanks for the prompt response, much appreciated.

I will try this REG Repair option thanks :)

I've red so much about this that I'm totaly confused 'bout fsx installs, after lots of serious PC probs I've been following suggestions of many, red the topics of Nick's links too (there's a lot of Chinees between for me).

Been using flightsim since FS95 to FSX all versions in between. Never had serious troubles till a month ago my pc refuge to startup, > got nothing but BSoD. Tried all incl istall vista... to FS installs. When allmost ready, turn back to BSoD startup again. Brought my PC several times to repare center with result, I got an allmost totaly new PC inside, first they changed the graph card, MB and processor+intall W7, no solution yet! Had the same prob twice again about starting up, it's always losing it's boot systems seems so. I can tell you, it's really frustrating setting up the whole thing again for Times now in a row!! Is it me doing something wrong?? really don't know anymore. But after using FS for many years, updating and reinstall several times with lots of addons I think I should be able for the job like before.

System is clean with all updates, drivers... Win7 is on C drive, And a D drive is ready for FSX and Co.

Now FSX on D root? when UAC off do I need right click > use as admin?

Other suggestions are welcome

Thx and cheers