Sign in to follow this  
sheepfu

How to start without moving

Every time I start this wonderful bird, she trys to move forward. The only way I have successfully prevented this is to start while in pushback. What I am doing wrong?

In very short how I do it.Handbrake upCondition lever all the way back (0%). hit start and let engine run up to GASGEN indicator reach around 10% and then very very slightly advance the condition lever (only about 4-6%) until you hear the engine will ignite and start to run up (you will immediatley hear the engine start with runup) then after engine stabilise, only then I slowly advance the condition lever till it it fully forward after a while.Well that is what is working for me.

Edited by bliksimpie

Guest bstolle
Every time I start this wonderful bird, she trys to move forward. What I am doing wrong?
Starting the engine with the prop not in feather will get you moving immediately IRL as well. The alternative is to start the engine with the prop in feather.Check that the prop lever is actually in the feather position.(easy to determine with the tooltips enabled stating 'feathered') You need the keypress for 'reduce prop RPM'. Moving the prop lever with the mouse will only get it to 0%  which isn't feather.If you start the engine with the prop lever fully foward (the engine doesn't care)you need to set the parking brake!If you look for it, on some videos on the net you can even see the nose wheel strut compress slightly when the prop unfeathers during start with the brakes set due to the power being developed.The engine itself is already running at approx 70% RPM at idle.That's the reason why you need a power setting below flight/ground idle e.g. beta/reverse, to control the taxi speed. On multi engined planes, you normally taxi with one prop in feather and still you have to use beta or reverse as not to accelerate too much.But even in a piston engineed plane it's good practise to set the parking brake before starting the engine Edited by bstolle

Guest bstolle

@ bliksimpie.That's basically what we tried to achieve with a gauge but unfortunately this doesn't work with hardware condition levers etc...The slight problem is that that the Ng overshoots to about 77-78% during engine start instead of settling at 70%You can replicate the realistic engine start (FSX doesn't let you control fuel flow during the start on turboprops) by advancing the condition lever to 2-3% when the starter reaches 10-11% Ng and as soon as the Ng reaches 69% you can push the condition lever fully forward and the Ng will settle at 70% without overshooting.

@ bliksimpie.That's basically what we tried to achieve with a gauge but unfortunately this doesn't work with hardware condition levers etc...The slight problem is that that the Ng overshoots to about 77-78% during engine start instead of settling at 70%You can replicate the realistic engine start (FSX doesn't let you control fuel flow during the start on turboprops) by advancing the condition lever to 2-3% when the starter reaches 10-11% Ng and as soon as the Ng reaches 69% you can push the condition lever fully forward and the Ng will settle at 70% without overshooting.
Thanks captain. Appreciate the time taken to explainkeep well

Thanks for the tips. I have now had this work for me once. Now I just need to work on my technique.

I remember this being the routine for the PT6s on the DA Cheyenne...I always loved taking the blades out of feather and the sound made... good to hear that Carenado has modelled this very important aspect of turboprop engine sounds...ThanksAndrew