Sign in to follow this  

No Track IR...?

From what I've read on the TrackIR forum, it is up to MS to implement support for TrackIR. It has nothing to do with an SDK being available for a game that shall be supported. TrackIR provides a simple API that needs to be implemented by the game vendors. In my opinion MS would be pretty ignorant in case they don't plan to support TrackIR.

In my opinion MS would be pretty ignorant in case they don't plan to support TrackIR.
Of course Flight will support TrackIR.Seems like FSX was one of the few games that doesn't natively support TrackIR (don't quote me on that, it's just it seems like there was/is some kinda of 'middleware' or something that makes it work with FSX).

From what I've read on the TrackIR forum, it is up to MS to implement support for TrackIR. It has nothing to do with an SDK being available for a game that shall be supported. TrackIR provides a simple API that needs to be implemented by the game vendors. In my opinion MS would be pretty ignorant in case they don't plan to support TrackIR.
It could depend if TrackIR is prepared to pay Microsoft to implement it, after all it would be for the benefit of TrackIR sales.

It could depend if TrackIR is prepared to pay Microsoft to implement it, after all it would be for the benefit of TrackIR sales.
Are you being serious or just kidding?

as long as MS is not offering something similar, they will be better off implementing support for it... I'm pretty sure there will be no dedicated "deal" between MS and TrackIR

Are you being serious or just kidding?
I'm being perfectly serious - it's a hard commercial world out there.If you were asked to spend time and effort changing your product so that someone else could sell more of their products wouldn't you expect to be paid? I would.

I'm being perfectly serious - it's a hard commercial world out there.If you were asked to spend time and effort changing your product so that someone else could sell more of their products wouldn't you expect to be paid? I would.
This should be a win-win situation in the end. People buy Track IR because of the game but also a game can be bought because of Track IR support. In my personal case, I would never support any sim game without TrackIR support anymore...

I'm being perfectly serious.If you were asked to spend time and effort changing your product so that someone else could sell more of their products wouldn't you expect to be paid?
Wow. OK, I'll respond. Support for TrackIR is probably a 1-day task (not that that work hasn't already been done). Inclusion means more sales of Flight. Exclusion means fewer sales of Flight. Same reason it has joystick and rudder support without royalties from CH, Saitek and others. It's really not that hard to understand unless you are just bitter about Flight and want to be difficult? I dunno. . .

as long as MS is not offering something similar
HelloThey are
Inclusion means more sales of Flight
HelloAnd therefore less sales of Microsofts competing technology.Why would they want to promote TrackIR instead of their own offering ?

Wow. OK, I'll respond. Support for TrackIR is probably a 1-day task (not that that work hasn't already been done). Inclusion means more sales of Flight. Exclusion means fewer sales of Flight. Same reason it has joystick and rudder support without royalties from CH, Saitek and others. It's really not that hard to understand unless you are just bitter about Flight and want to be difficult? I dunno. . .
By the same arguement, inclusion means more sales of TrackIR: exclusion means fewer sales so TrackIR should pay for it.As I said, it's a hard commercial world out there and, at the end of the day, it will depend on who needs the extra sales most - Microsoft or TrackIR? Edited by mgh

simply, because their "product" is not established on the marked a.t.m. MS Flight will for sure not be the starting platform for the Kinetic launch for PC.

That may well bwe true, but it doesn'tr mean Microsoft will allow a competitor in.

Simple truth is, they will not make any 3pd compatibilities UNLESS they want to play MS's insider game. i.e a cut of the profits. Maybe trackIRs interface could be a DLC. I use track IR but I also am aware of what Flight is all about.

Edited by Barnstormer1

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.