Sign in to follow this  
delta88p

Mdl editing...

I know this topic has been covered before, I searched and read...I would like to know the difference between A/C models designed for FS9 vs FSX as far as virtual cockpits go. I have a fantastic plane that I imported from 9 to X and I want to add a virtual Cockpit. I'm pretty sure that the model was created for fs9 so it is not as simple as editing FSX planes and panels. There must be a way. I believe by editing the model cfg? What program would I use to view it?I suspect I should contact the designer for permission in that case as well.Thanks.Delta

Trying to merge an FSX interior with an FS9 exterior is fruitless. It just plain...Won't Happen. Sorry.FS9 VCs are internal to their respective models. If the VC isn't included it can't be added, unless you have the source files, and create it yourself.An FSX native aircraft has an exterior model and an interior model. Those interior/exterior models can be merged, but, the donor's panel(VC sections minimum) and VC related textures will have to go along with it's interior, to the recipient, or it won't show properly...Don

Delta,If your FS9 aircraft has only the outside modeled and not any parts of the aircraft visible from the inside you can try the following:Copy an aircraft's virtual cockpit file into the same directory as the .mdl file and make the necessary reference in the model.cfg file. You will now see the virtual cockpit of the aircraft's file you have used. If you use a similar shaped one it will not be a train smash if you design the proper 2D panel and fly with it. However you can design your own virtual cockpit and compile it as a standalone interior and use the same method to add it.I have downloaded the ISDT King Air B200 for FSX and it had no 3D cockpit, but you could see the wings and props when looking sideways. I have added the default King Air 350 virtual cockpit .mdl file and that solved the side views perfectly for me. The ISDT King Air was designed with an alias panel, aliased to the King Air 350 (default one). Now I have the panel as well as the proper side views with the props animated. The new cockpit seems to overwrite the ISDT side views and now I have exactly what I want.So it can be done. If I was just lucky to have the correct set of circumstances I don't know, but I am going to experiment to make some 3d side views for one or two other models as well.

SKYLF, I think your merge worked because the ISDT King Air B200 for FSX is a native FSX model. Not an FS9 version.At least the "ISDT_B200LW.mdl" that I am using is. I did the same VC merge as you did.I'm curious, so, would you please open the exterior model file that you are using in notepad.In the first line does it have MDLXMDLH? That denotes an FSX compiled native model.If the first line has MDL8MDLH it is an FS2002/FS9 and you have successfully done something that I have found impossible so far...Don

Delta,If your FS9 aircraft has only the outside modeled and not any parts of the aircraft visible from the inside you can try the following:
A true FS9 model can simply NOT be mixed with an FSX interior model. Period. They have entirely different file structures, and are compiled differently.All FS9 .mdl files -even those without a virtual cockpit- have a "vc header" section that essentially says "no vc available."

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have downloaded the ISDT King Air B200 for FSX and it had no 3D cockpit, but you could see the wings and props when looking sideways. I have added the default King Air 350 virtual cockpit .mdl file and that solved the side views perfectly for me. The ISDT King Air was designed with an alias panel, aliased to the King Air 350 (default one). Now I have the panel as well as the proper side views with the props animated. The new cockpit seems to overwrite the ISDT side views and now I have exactly what I want.
Hi, Can you elaborate on the steps you did to accomplish this? I have copied the 350 model into the 200, renaming to ISDT_B200_interior. I now have a black VC with all gauges showing. I have copied the interior dds files into the model folder, but I cannot see the VC.Thanks

The dds texture files go in the ..texture folder, not the ..model folder!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I have copied the interior.mdl file into the model directory of the outer aircraft. I then eddited the model.cfg file to make the interior refer to the correct file. The interior model automatically call up the relevant textures. Work for me.

Thank you guys for the info. I tried a few things suggested but it didn't happen. Too bad because Eric Cantu's Vistaliners 727 flies more realistically than Captain Sim. But I simply cannot go back to flying with 2d panels.Cheers.Oh and sorry for the late reply.