Sign in to follow this  
sjed

How does DLC work?

Does anyone know how DLC works? I'm used to having disks to reinstall in case something goes wrong with the computer either from a botched up install or the computer breaks or a computer upgrade. If I need to reinstall the DLC after, say a year of ownership, would I be able to re-download the already purchased item for free or would I have to pay for it all over again. I'm not used to DLC and am kind of leary of it until I'm able to answer those questions.

SJED

In theory, your DLC purchases will be tied to your account/password. So, if you need to reinstall, you should be able to without paying again. At least that's how some other DLC models work. . .

I have my beta version of Flight (which includes two of the DLC) installed on both my desktop and my laptop. If I remember correctly, all I had to do when I wanted to add Flight to my laptop, was install the core part of Flight (the free part) and then log into my Windows Live account, navigate to the Games for Windows Marketplace, where the two Flight DLC were listed. Installing the DLC was as simple as clicking on Download for each. I'm not sure it the released version will work exactly the same, but it should be similar. Windows Live works pretty much like Steam games and DLC.

Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Thank you all for your response. That makes me feel safer with DLC if it works that way.

SJED

The business model part of DLC (otherwise known as microtransactions or "nickel n dime you to death"):"Give away razor....sell blades" :(

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

Buy inkjet printer real cheap.Buy ink cartridges for said printer - real expensive.I know, I had to replace 4 out of 6 Epsom cartridges today. Unreal prices they charge.

Yep.A new sim, all the Hawaian islands and 2 planes for $20. That's way less than most addons - you'll pay more for a single orbx airport. If it's not worth $20 to you to try out a game it's probably not worth your time posting on the forum (imho but ymmv).If you don't like it, not much lost. Unlike most games, if you do like it - you may still be flying a version of it in 6 years.P.s. disclaimer: after several previous positive flight posts MS has agreed to pay me $10 from every hawaii dlc sold worldwide (i think) - ta Steve! I'm sure the whole 'occupy Redmond' thing is long forgotten, right?:)

Edited by OzWhitey

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.