Sign in to follow this  
ArjenVdv

Mininum RAM size for NGX?

Hello captains!I'm gonna upgrade my RAM very shortly because my current RAM is quite slow. Yes, faster RAM will not give me better FPS, but I'm having little stutters all the time. And I read that RAM with tight timings will reduce stutters and give a more fluid motion. (Please don't say I"m wrong if you haven't tested it yourself, other people have tested it and got these results). Unfortunately the 8GB kits with CL7 or CL6 are all out of stock everywhere in the world, even on Newegg... So I found these RAMs, with very tight timings, 6-8-6-24 from G.Skill. But I was wondering if 4GB would be enough for the NGX, because it's a really heavy add-on. Anyone else using 4GB's and are you having any Out Of Memory errors (OOMs)? If so, is it possible to buy two of those kits so I will get 2x(2x2GB)? Not sure if it's possible to install it like this? Thanks!http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231444

Hello again Arjen.Since I invested in 8G RAM, I have had no problems at all, with any addon. Even the 'Concorde X' is loving it. ;)

Dave Taylor gb.png

6-8GB is all you need.Just curious, what's the rated voltage for that memory? You really shouldn't run higher than 1.65v memory on a sandy bridge system & that gives no room for bumping it a bit. It's been my experience that g-skill RAM, while still excellent memory, usually needs a bit more voltage to operate correctly at the advertised timings. eg... My current 1.35v G-skill kit runs stable at 1.45 volts.As for just getting another 2x2 kit, don't do that. The modules in a kit are matched to each other, so you don't want to go mixing kits. Better to just bite the bullet & get a 2x4GB kit and be done with it.EDIT: Nevermind, I checked the link & it's 1.5v, which is ideal for SB systems. It'll give have the voltage overhead you need. Still better off with a 2x4gb or even a matched 4x2gb kit though.EDIT2: I also won't comment whether or not it's a good idea to buy new ram for the stutters. I don't have any personal experience to say either way, but I would tend to think it won't matter much.

Edited by MrKen

6-8GB is all you need.Just curious, what's the rated voltage for that memory? You really shouldn't run higher than 1.65v memory on a sandy bridge system & that gives no room for bumping it a bit. It's been my experience that g-skill RAM, while still excellent memory, usually needs a bit more voltage to operate correctly at the advertised timings. eg... My current 1.35v G-skill kit runs stable at 1.45 volts.As for just getting another 2x2 kit, don't do that. The modules in a kit are matched to each other, so you don't want to go mixing kits. Better to just bite the bullet & get a 2x4GB kit and be done with it.EDIT: Nevermind, I checked the link & it's 1.5v, which is ideal for SB systems. It'll give have the voltage overhead you need. Still better off with a 2x4gb or even a matched 4x2gb kit though.EDIT2: I also won't comment whether or not it's a good idea to buy new ram for the stutters. I don't have any personal experience to say either way, but I would tend to think it won't matter much.
Ok, so 8GB would be fine. But the problem is, I want 8GB CL7 RAM, and I haven't been able to find any 8GB CL7 RAM that is still in stock anywhere in the world. Any suggestions?

Ok, so 8GB would be fine. But the problem is, I want 8GB CL7 RAM, and I haven't been able to find any 8GB CL7 RAM that is still in stock anywhere in the world. Any suggestions?
Hang on, my wife just ordered 8gb of 7-7-7-21 1.5v G-Skill. I'll see if she can email me a link. (she gets wholesale though, so I dunno the source)EDIT: I was confused and drunk. Had my wife cancel the order cause I looked at my forum sig & realized I'm already running CAS7 memory. Here's the link from my newegg order history....http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231330It's a 4x2GB 1.35v kit & runs great at 1.45vHere's a 2x4GB 1.5v 7-7-7-21 kithttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231402 Edited by MrKen

Hang on, my wife just ordered 8gb of 7-7-7-21 1.5v G-Skill. I'll see if she can email me a link. (she gets wholesale though, so I dunno the source)EDIT: I was confused and drunk. Had my wife cancel the order cause I looked at my forum sig & realized I'm already running CAS7 memory. Here's the link from my newegg order history....http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231330It's a 4x2GB 1.35v kit & runs great at 1.45vHere's a 2x4GB 1.5v 7-7-7-21 kithttp://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231402
Thanks Ken, but that is 1333 MHz. Forgot to tell you, but I'm looking for 1600 / CL7, with 7-8-7-24 timings, unfortunately all out of stock. I wish someone could sell me a set of these. :( However, 7-9-8-24 timings are still in stock, but those are not as tight as the 7-8-7-24.

Guest Lawyer+Pilot

I'm curious to hear others' thought as to what, if any, impact a RAM upgrade might have on NGX and overall FSX performance. I'm happy at the moment with my 6GB OCZ Gold at 1600 (8-8-8-24). But I've been tinkering with the idea of upgrading. Is there a general consensus?

Thanks Ken, but that is 1333 MHz. Forgot to tell you, but I'm looking for 1600 / CL7, with 7-8-7-24 timings, unfortunately all out of stock. I wish someone could sell me a set of these. :( However, 7-9-8-24 timings are still in stock, but those are not as tight as the 7-8-7-24.
Hallo Arjen Ik heb ze over als je wilAndreas

Hallo Arjen Ik heb ze over als je wilAndreas
That would be really nice Andreas, I PM'd you!
I'm curious to hear others' thought as to what, if any, impact a RAM upgrade might have on NGX and overall FSX performance. I'm happy at the moment with my 6GB OCZ Gold at 1600 (8-8-8-24). But I've been tinkering with the idea of upgrading.Is there a general consensus?
As far as I know, several people have tested CL 7 vs CL9 RAM. And the general consensus is, according to their test tesults, that CL7 RAM does not increase framerate, but does reduce the famous FSX stuttering effect, and makes a more fluid motion. Currently my fps are great but having quite some stuttering (not long stutters or lockups, but very short little lags and such, this is how FSX runs, but this could be reduced with some good CL7 RAM).

The first link, what I have in my system, is 1600

The first link, what I have in my system, is 1600
Ken, thanks,. Checked it out, looks like very good RAM. Checked it out at G.Skill website and it says that it was designed for the Intel P55 chipset? Could this give me any problems on my Z68 mobo (you're running P67 or Z68 to I see, but just asking). I see the voltage is quite low, 1.35V. But as you said it needs some more to run stable. But, does voltage have anything to do with performance of the memory? For example 1.65V is faster then 1.35V or doesn't this matter at all?

I'm curious to hear others' thought as to what, if any, impact a RAM upgrade might have on NGX and overall FSX performance. I'm happy at the moment with my 6GB OCZ Gold at 1600 (8-8-8-24). But I've been tinkering with the idea of upgrading.Is there a general consensus?
I've had 4Gb, then upgraded to 8Gb, then went back to 4 Gb (because I used it in an other computer for troubleshooting).NoDifferenceWhat SoEver.Bert Van Bulck
Hello captains!I'm gonna upgrade my RAM very shortly because my current RAM is quite slow. Yes, faster RAM will not give me better FPS, but I'm having little stutters all the time. And I read that RAM with tight timings will reduce stutters and give a more fluid motion. (Please don't say I"m wrong if you haven't tested it yourself, other people have tested it and got these results). Unfortunately the 8GB kits with CL7 or CL6 are all out of stock everywhere in the world, even on Newegg... So I found these RAMs, with very tight timings, 6-8-6-24 from G.Skill. But I was wondering if 4GB would be enough for the NGX, because it's a really heavy add-on. Anyone else using 4GB's and are you having any Out Of Memory errors (OOMs)? If so, is it possible to buy two of those kits so I will get 2x(2x2GB)? Not sure if it's possible to install it like this?Thanks!http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820231444
All available RAM these days have 9-9-9-24 (within the 8Gb range) Even the high end overclocking range.If lower timings would make a real difference, other timings would be widely available.So, I don't beleive it will do anything to improve your system or stutters.Bert Van Bulck

Arjen, Yes I read that other said it could reduce stutters, butwith my ram (see below) I never had stutters. So I don´t think it´s a ram thing.If it were, I would also have it./ Leffe

Arjen, Yes I read that other said it could reduce stutters, butwith my ram (see below) I never had stutters. So I don´t think it´s a ram thing.If it were, I would also have it./ Leffe
Well, first of all you have another graphics card then mine. GTX 580 gives a little bit less stuttering also. Secondly, we all have different opinions, for example what I call stuttering, perhaps you'll call it silky smooth... I don't know what latency your RAM is btw. Here's a video from Word Not Allowed, it's a very similar effect that I'm seeing:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PL7rKt5uuY&feature=channel
I've had 4Gb, then upgraded to 8Gb, then went back to 4 Gb (because I used it in an other computer for troubleshooting).NoDifferenceWhatSoEver.Bert Van BulckAll available RAM these days have 9-9-9-24 (within the 8Gb range) Even the high end overclocking range.If lower timings would make a real difference, other timings would be widely available.So, I don't beleive it will do anything to improve your system or stutters.Bert Van Bulck
You are right about this statement. In general, CL9 vs CL7 is pretty much zero. That's why they don't produce these kind of RAM anymore. But as we all know, FSX is a little strange programm. Unlike most other games, FSX likes CPU's that run at very high clockspeeds, and does not make enough use of the graphics cards. While in normal games CL7 RAM would not make a difference at all vs CL9 RAM, in FSX it will. Not in terms of framerate, but in terms of the stuttering effect. The lower the RAM latency (in combination with the highest possible clockspeed), will give you the least stuttering, zero framerate increase, but a significant difference in motion fluidness. Several people have reported and tested CL7 vs CL9 RAM and got these results. So if you haven't tested or seen something yourself, don't make a statement about that it wouldn't work (a lot of people on the forums do this btw. :) ) . Btw, RAM size in terms of performance shouldn't matter also, but perhaps 4GB will produce OOMs, so that's why I'm asking what memory size is recommended for the NGX (because it's such a heavy add-on.

You are right about this statement. In general, CL9 vs CL7 is pretty much zero. That's why they don't produce these kind of RAM anymore. But as we all know, FSX is a little strange programm. Unlike most other games, FSX likes CPU's that run at very high clockspeeds, and does not make enough use of the graphics cards. While in normal games CL7 RAM would not make a difference at all vs CL9 RAM, in FSX it will. Not in terms of framerate, but in terms of the stuttering effect. The lower the RAM latency (in combination with the highest possible clockspeed), will give you the least stuttering, zero framerate increase, but a significant difference in motion fluidness. Several people have reported and tested CL7 vs CL9 RAM and got these results. So if you haven't tested or seen something yourself, don't make a statement about that it wouldn't work (a lot of people on the forums do this btw. :) ) . Btw, RAM size in terms of performance shouldn't matter also, but perhaps 4GB will produce OOMs, so that's why I'm asking what memory size is recommended for the NGX (because it's such a heavy add-on.
Well, if the gentleman who started the topic is willing to make a before and after video then you'll convince me :)Bert Van Bulck