Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

FS2Crew Voice on separate PC?

Like some others here, I am waiting for the Voice control version of FS2Crew to be released for the 737NGX, and I'm aware the SDK is coming soon, so it "WILL" happen, but my specific question is can I run FS2Crew on my laptop whilst FSX resides on my desktop? I do this with several other bits of software, and my mic/headset is connected to the laptop (Squawkbox/Vatsim) and thus FS2Crew would be useless to me unless it supports dual PC configurations with FSX. Can anyone advise me? Brian?Thanks.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

As far as I know, it's technically not possible I'm afraid... FS2Crew needs to be installed on the same PC.Simplest thing would be to run the online client on the main PC.

Robert,Not possible as Kimmo mentioned above.FS2Crew uses 'gauge' files which are loaded via the host aircraft's panel.cfg file.It's literally built into the host aircraft that way, as if it were an instrument.The result of this is that you cannot run it off a separate computer.The benefit of doing it this way is that when you load your host aircraft, FS2Crew is ready to go off the bat.You don't need to start up a separate program and deal with that extra complexity.Cheers,

Robert,Not possible as Kimmo mentioned above.FS2Crew uses 'gauge' files which are loaded via the host aircraft's panel.cfg file.It's literally built into the host aircraft that way, as if it were an instrument.The result of this is that you cannot run it off a separate computer.The benefit of doing it this way is that when you load your host aircraft, FS2Crew is ready to go off the bat.You don't need to start up a separate program and deal with that extra complexity.Cheers,
Thank you Bryan, for your swift reply. I don't know if I can make it work as you suggest, because as I mentioned, Squawkbox running off my laptop, along with EFB and ACARS. I would have to use a seperate mic on the main PC just for FS2Crew. That might be awkward.

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Yes, if you want to run SB off a separate computer, you'd need to split the mic.Why not just run a 2nd copy of Squawkbox off your flightsim computer when you want to use FS2Crew?It'll be worth it using FS2Crew and Squawkbox because the FS2Crew FO can, among other things, set the Squawkbox Transponder for you as per his flows (runway entry and after landing).We're even have an ASDE-X option for the NGX.

Yes, if you want to run SB off a separate computer, you'd need to split the mic.Why not just run a 2nd copy of Squawkbox off your flightsim computer when you want to use FS2Crew?It'll be worth it using FS2Crew and Squawkbox because the FS2Crew FO can, among other things, set the Squawkbox Transponder for you as per his flows (runway entry and after landing).We're even have an ASDE-X option for the NGX.
I know you also make a button version of FS2Crew. How is that different from Voice?

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Hi Robert,Button Control is different from Voice Control in that you use keyboard or joystick buttons to interface with the simulation instead of 'talking' to your computer via a microphone/headset.No microphone is required for Button Control.The upcoming NGX version of FS2Crew includes both the 'button' and 'voice' control version in the same package, so you'll be able to try both.Cheers,

Hi Robert,Button Control is different from Voice Control in that you use keyboard or joystick buttons to interface with the simulation instead of 'talking' to your computer via a microphone/headset.No microphone is required for Button Control.The upcoming NGX version of FS2Crew includes both the 'button' and 'voice' control version in the same package, so you'll be able to try both.Cheers,
That's quite interesting. I am wanting to control the doors on the NGX (aft and cargo) via buttons, I'm hopeful that after SDK comes out, someone (you or LInda) will write code to address that need. Opening aux doors via the CDU is not convenient. I don't have a clue how those doors are actually controlled in the REAL airplane. Be interested in knowing from a RW captain if someone cares to explain.Thank you!

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

I don't have a clue how those doors are actually controlled in the REAL airplane. Be interested in knowing from a RW captain if someone cares to explain.
Pax and cargo doors cannot be controlled from the cockpit in the real aircraft. There are indicators that show their status, but they are actually operated by other crewmembers or ground crew. The controls and mechanisms are on the doors themselves or under access panels in the case of cargo doors. That is why you often hear the captain call the crew on PA to "arm doors and crosscheck" or something similar at the gate.

Hi Robert,FS2Crew controls the the doors for you (pax and cargo entry).With FS2Crew you don't need to worry about the doors at all.Cheers,
Thank you for that! Once available, there is no doubt I will buy FS2Crew for NGX.
Pax and cargo doors cannot be controlled from the cockpit in the real aircraft. There are indicators that show their status, but they are actually operated by other crewmembers or ground crew. The controls and mechanisms are on the doors themselves or under access panels in the case of cargo doors. That is why you often hear the captain call the crew on PA to "arm doors and crosscheck" or something similar at the gate.
Many thanks for clarifying this issue for me! I appreciate your time and generous effort.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg