Sign in to follow this  
Tarnsman

Road and highway texture looks like dirt (warning noob)

Hi, I am new to FSX.All of my streets and highways look like dirt roads, no matter how high I set my graphics options. I installed the FTX replacement textures but there is still no change, all roads still look like dirt roads. Since I am new I cant tell if this is correct, and I am using the stock terrain. But it does not seem right that no matter what I set my scenery options to the roads look unchanged.Help.Thanks

Maybe need a screenshot, because in the default terrain there is a texture bitmap for "dirtroad*", but most of the roads use one of the hiway_1*, hiway_2* or hiway_4* bitmaps with concrete, asphalt, and gravel appearance.scott s..

This is what I have over Washington DC.Settings: Mesh complexity 100,Mesh resolution 5m, texture res 7cm, Land detail check,Scene complexity extremely dense, auto gen normal.My runways look great and my taxiways look pretty good. But my highways and roads look like mud drawn with a crayon.Is this what the terrain looks like at high settings stock?

Hi Tamsman,You said you were using FTX replacement textures but you also say this image is in Washington DC. FTX (ORBX) does not produce textures for Washington DC. Whatever it is that is showing it is not right. Please indicate in detail what your computer specs are, similiar to how I have mine in my signature and what FSX programs or addons you are running.Kind regards,

Sure, Scott's hit the nail on the head. A case of massive blurries that are effectively blurring the textures and so all the detail of the road, which should have a well defined edge to them, has been lost! The other thing that it may be, it looks as though the perspective of the image has been zoomed in, is this so? Obviously textures become blurrier the further you are away from the aircraft, so if this is the case then this would explain things. If not, then we need to offer some help. The first thing is for you to post your system specs, then we will have a better idea where to start...

Edited by Rockliffe

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Thanks guys for the fast responses.I am a bit zoomed in in cockpit, but that is not the difference here, it is the same no matter what zoom setting, you can just see the situation better because at standard FOV you can hardly distinguish the highways at all.I am the using REX road and highway texture demo, in the hopes that it would help. The issue was there to start with and I added the file to try to improve things, and frankly I can't see any difference even though the texture is installed.I have the ORBX demo for Pacific NW, which was disabled when I took this shot, but the effect is easier to show in a metro area and I wanted to show my stock situation. Which is pretty much the same in the ORBX section of Washington state, just not as apparent.I am using BoJote's recommended configuration tool tweaked .cfg. My fps (are 15 on the tarmac at major airports; 20-24 airborne over DC, 34-45 in the DC metro region)Specs:3.2 ghz Pentium 4 640 HTIntel i955x 775 LGA mainboard500w Dell PSUWin XP Sp3 32bit4 gb Ram in Dual channel (reporting as 3.37Gb)Nvidia EVGA GTX 460 1Gb 280.26 WHQL driversWestern Digital WD5000 500Gb HDWestern Digital Passport 500Gb UsbDell 2407WFP @ 1920x1200 60 mhzShe's is old but has run everything I have thrown at her including Rise of Flight and Flaming Cliffs 2 at medium to high graphics and frames in the 24-44fps range. In this case with FSX, since I applied Bojotes cfg. recommendations , my graphic settings (except Autogen) seem to have little effect on fps, before Bojote's tool FSX was a slide show regardless of where I set my sliders or resolution. But I know I am behind the hardware curve and the FSX planes with Garmin panels give me some DPS latency, but not so much that it is a bother.I am getting a kick out of FSX so far, but sight seeing and learning VFR are my major motivations for getting into this sim, after focusing solely on air combat sims for a long time. So something better than what I am getting terrain wise is pretty important. Before I invest in an after market solution, I need to get a sense of where I am and what i can expect performance wise. The ORBX demo seems to work great outside of downtown Seattle which drags down to the teens. Otherwise I get similar frame rates to stock, even seeing 40-45fps cruising over countryside.Thanks for your help

Edited by Tarnsman

This is what I have over Washington DC.Settings: Mesh complexity 100,Mesh resolution 5m, texture res 7cm, Land detail check,Scene complexity extremely dense, auto gen normal.My runways look great and my taxiways look pretty good. But my highways and roads look like mud drawn with a crayon.Is this what the terrain looks like at high settings stock?
What is your texture filtering set at? Make sure you have ansiotropic selected.Jim

Jim Wenham

What is your texture filtering set at? Make sure you have ansiotropic selected.Jim
Tried that. it was first set to bilinear then trilinear then tried anisiotropic, no decernable difference.

Guest treeman

Ouch that P4 is probably screaming under FSX :( I'd chalk it up to that almost entirely...

Tried that. it was first set to bilinear then trilinear then tried anisiotropic, no decernable difference.
YOu see no difference at all changing the filtering? What are you using to control your video card settings, Enhancer, Inspector, Nvidia CP?

Jim Wenham

Usually when I have had this happen it is when slewing too fast, pausing the sim and waiting will eventually clear it up. Otherwise I have had scenery addons with certain texture formats that caused this. You can try backing off your texture resolution to 1m (that's the max resolution for default terrain). Make sure your LOD radius is 4.5.scott s..

Nvidia CP
Please post your setting in the control panel.

Jim Wenham