Sign in to follow this  
Rush1169

RV-6 Landing Challenge #6 - ILS - Sweetly Intense

See I just don't get the debate, from both sides really.FSX and Flight, are two different products that do similar things , ie simulate the act of flying an airplane - for now in a very different way, and yes when it gets down to it both are video games played on the PC < yegads did I really say that>.Some will like FSX only, some will like Flight only, some will like both - and there may be some that like neither.I myself, love the heck out of FSX, and for now I also am enjoying the heck out of Flight - kind of a win-win for me. :smile:

Sure, you can argue whether or not to call Flight a simulation. Call it a golf game if you want - it doesn't really matter what 'genre' you want to assign to it, many people really like Flight. Personally, I think it is 100x better than FSX on many fronts and many others do to. Many don't like it, but regardless of what the dislikers post, it will not change someone who likes it into someone who doesn't. HiFlyer likes it and no matter what genre you put it in, doesn't change his/her liking it.The point isn't the "realism" of whether an RV6 will be in that situation, it's the fact that that situation was intense, involving, disorienting, challenging, and fun. The same scenerio is FSX is not. For some.Certainly, during the RV6 Landing Challenge #6, the fact that you are limited to Hawaii doesn't matter. The fact that there are no jets doesn't matter. The missing AI, the lack of "real weather", no helicopters, etc - none mattered during the descent and landing.
I am not the one that started the game vs simulation discussion. However, why would it be ok to have one post stand and not its opposite. There is a poll in this forum. Clearly the majority of people (61.69% at this time) did not buy any DLC. Why is that? Some people want to know or there would be no poll.Actually, it is interesting to note that people with critical opinions of Flight have been asked to leave this forum, yet there is a poll that wants to know how many people dislike the DLC enough not to have bought it. I am actually very surprised that there are still so many interested - but not DLC-buying - people left in this forum after all the "hater outbursts" some had to endure.If the current DLC sells well enough to satisfy MS, then neither my posts nor yours will count for anything. If MS wants to improve its sales of DLC, then it should listen to posts like mine and make adjustments accordingly.As a software developer myself, I like to see people enjoy the games I have created, however, the real feedback is from the critical posts. That's how I know what I need to fix to reach a greater audience.

To be honest, the only thing preventing me from installing the free base product is that I don't want to mess with my system, which is running my NGX in Fsx with all my addons with amazing results.
Hi,If I understand, you are wanting to keep your system totally pristine (exactly as it is now) whilst trialing Flight. If that is the case you could just image your hard drive, try Flight and then restore the image back again. That way your system will be the same as it was. I use O&O Disk Image pro and it enables me to freely muck around and experiment knowing I can always get back to a "perfect" image.

There is a poll in this forum. Clearly the majority of people (61.69% at this time) did not buy any DLC. Why is that?
Most were Beta testers. Just%20Kidding.gif
The point isn't the "realism" of whether an RV6 will be in that situation, it's the fact that that situation was intense, involving, disorienting, challenging, and fun.
:Thinking:This is a very interesting take on the matter. I think these things are some of the "components" that have made MW3 wildly successful.
See I just don't get the debate, from both sides really.
Agreed there... could be some have nothing better to do than to debate. :unknw:
The trouble with spins on PC aircraft, They almost all recover automatically as soon as you let go of the stick
I am not sure what you mean by "recover automatically" (as in almost immediately?)Let me offer up this point... one of the methods taught in spin recovery is to do precisely what you said... let go of the controls. And you are left with an (easily) recoverable "spiral dive".

Thanks for the tip, Ray. So far I've not managed a proper spin in the Stearman yet, but I'll keep trying!
By default there are various flight assists on that make it harder. You'll want to turn those off. I forget exactly where they are, but I presume they're in the options menu somewhere.
This "game" has some simulation in it. Clearly, planes are flying, the sun shines, and there is wind. These are all simulations of the real thing. The question is what separates a game from a simulation. Fidelity and flexibility to simulate a wide range of situations.When you can manually set up the airport, visibility and winds, then we can call it a simulator. Until then it is a challenge in a game, no different than having to collect coins or flying through hoops.
As I mentioned in the discussion of my review, this is a completely arbitrary line. FSX is a game as much as it is a simulator as well. The developers of Flight have drawn a different line that you would have, but there's no magic point at which we all agree that without a manually set up visibility it's not a sim, but with it it is. It's primarily, in other words, simply a matter of taste. You just like a different sort of game. Edited by peterb

By default there are various flight assists on that make it harder. You'll want to turn those off. I forget exactly where they are, but I presume they're in the options menu somewhere.
Thanks, Peter. I turned all of those off on Day 1 of the beta testing. They were also the first thing I did on Day -1 of the release to web... :drinks:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator