Sign in to follow this  
Zoandar

Logitech G11 Keyboard Volume Control Kills Engine

I am using a Logitech G11 gaming keyboard on this Win7x64 PC where I have Flight running. This keyboard has a built in volume knob at the top center of the keyboard. When I decrease the game volume with the knob, I have no problems. But for some reason if I use the knob to increase the game volume, it immediately switches any airplane's engine off, and cycles the landing gear (if I am off the ground).Has anyone else seen this issue?The game seems to run OK now aside from this problem.

Odd. I have a G11 and I haven't had this happen. Yet....Something to try - open Notepad and see if turning the volume control gives you any characters onscreen like keypresses. I found my X52 Pro was doing this and confusing Flight a bit.Flight seems to use a slightly different method of HID polling, so it seems my X52 as a 'pure' Windows joystick, rather than the hybrid HID the Saitek software makes it appear as. I need to update my profile for Flight on the weekend to let some of the buttons pass-through commands correctly as a Windows joystick rather than keypresses, which is what the saitek software does for FSX.In other words, if I press buttons on the X52 in notepad, I see typed characters as if I was pressing the keyboard.In Flight this results as a double command - the 'joystick' button does one thing, the 'keypress' does something else.Are you running any command software like the Logitech Game Control? Maybe try updating that to the latest version.

I understand what you are saying, as I have my Saitek X52 profile for FSX running when I play MS Flight. When I first set it up, I went into Flight's settings and programmed the controls on the aircraft to use the same buttons and keypresses as I have assigned in FSX. The only thing I have yet to figure out in Flight is how to reverse the throttle (Z axis). You see, I fly helicopters a lot in FSX. And it is unnatural to have the "collective" (throttle) moving away from you when decending. So I have always reversed that axis in FSX, and fly planes the same way, moving the throttle stick toward me to increase the throttle. It took awhile but I got usesd to that. I am so used to doing that, I find myself moving the throttle the wrong way in Flight, because it doesn't allow me to reverse the Z axis. Really screws things up when landing. :)Anyway, I checked with Notepad as you suggest, but the G11 volume control isn't generating any keypresses that I can see. I use a Logitech Bluetooth mouse, and it's dongle is plugged into the RH rear USB port on the G11. I wonder if that has any bearing on this issue?The only software I am running together with the G11 is the Gaming Software version 8.12.030. I do have several G-keys programmed, but I am not using any of them while running MS Flight.Edit -Moving the Bluetooth dongle mentioned above away from the G11 keyboard did not matter. BUT...... I changed the Flight Aircraft Control setting for aircaft On/Off from the default B key to CTRL+E, like FSX uses for engine start. THAT stopped the issue with the volume control killing (or starting!) the engine. So for some reason MS Fight interprets clockwise rotation of the volume knob as being a "B" and "G" key pressed. Really strange. Has to be some kind of bug.

Edited by Zoandar

I have a Logitech G110 keyboard, and this also happened to me (This NEVER happened when I was testing the Beta). For some reason, increasing the volume turns off the engine.The only way that I could fix this was to change the Keyboard's "Aircraft: On/Off" event from B to another key (I'm using P).I reported this issue to the Flight Team.

Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

I've got the same problem.I'm using a Microsoft keyboard and whenever I turn up the volume the engine turns on/off.Never happened in the beta.

Edited by fsxkitty

I'll try my G11 when I get home (a few hours time, still workday here in Aus) and see if mine does it.The media keys on keyboards can do some wacky things to emulate keypresses, so who knows what might be screwing up.Reversing the axis... I think the saitek software can do that, can't it? Or was it Thrustmaster software that could do that (very handy) trick?

I tried converting the X52 profile's throttle to a directional axis, and then programmed in the key presses for increase/decrease. But as soon as I throttled the engine up, Flight over-rode the X52 settings and continued to work with full throttle being forward. I don't see any mention of axis reversal in the X52 profile editor. I'm pretty sure I have the setting to reverse the throttle somewhere within FSX's settings.

Edited by Zoandar